Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ideas to Help Baby Crawl

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:26 am
I'm not planning on attempting anything til it's Pesach (last thing I need is the baby hiding food), but I figured I'd ask now.

My baby gets up on her arms and tries to move, but she doesn't know what to do w/ her knees. Sometimes, she slithers (on her arms and tummy) backwards, but she can't really get where she wants and is frustrated.
I've tried putting her on her knees, but she can't keep the position. I've tried showing her what to do. That also didn't help.

Any ideas? She's 9 mos. old. I have a tile (Israeli) floor. I usually dress her in a footless stretchy w/ no feet or in a shirt and leggings.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:53 am
Hey my boy is the same age and has the same problem. He'd rather slip down onto is tummy and crawl that way. I've tried everything, it's just not working. Does she sit up from lying down by herself?

acccdac

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:05 am
my baby didnt really crawl until 9 months either.

Did what you're describing for a while, she could get up on her knees but that was it, at most she'd try and scoot backwards.

She is now 11 months old, in 1 months time she started crawling, pulling herself on things, climbing stairs, climbing down stairs, hurting herself a lot (grabbing a toy while standing up holding on and losing her balance).

Leave her alone she'll do it in her own time. If she hits 12 months and is still not doing anything then ask the doctor about PT although it may not be necessary at that point.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:32 am
What worked for me was bribery Smile along with physical assistance. My baby was 9 months old. She loved blueberries so on a clean floor I put some just out of her grasp and she really wanted them. I then helped her along. Make sure she's barefoot so she has traction. It's most helpful to do this in a onesie and on a non-carpeted floor. Either put her feet up against the wall so she can give herself a little push or put your palms against her feet so she can push off. Some babies can do it on their own but I think most can use this assistance. It took many tries but seeing that target she wanted really helped I think. And once she finally slithered and reached her reward the first few times she was so thrilled she really became a pro quickly. It was really worth the effort. Even if it takes a few days, keep at it. They are so much happier once they can move around on their own. I would encourage people to start this as early as they can, it's supposedly very good for their overall development. (I read Glenn Doman's very interesting book on babys development called "How smart is your baby" which really gave me the push to help her start crawling).

lfab

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:38 am
Try putting a mat under her. Not a thick cushiony one but a thin rubber one, like a yoga mat. This will allow her to get traction without slipping all over the tiles. We did this to get some of our kids to roll over. When they tried to do it on the wood or tile floors their arms would just slide out from underneath them. Once she gets the hang of it she'll be all over the place.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:26 am
Thank you everyone for your help!

No she does not know how to go from lying down to sitting up. She does sometimes pick up her head like she's trying. She can go from sitting to lying by sliding herself backwards. This makes me nervous b/c my floor is hard.

I could try bribing her, but her favorite food is diaper wipes which are obviously off limits! I can try Bamba which she enjoys (just not as much as the wipes).

I do have a mat that's made of foam and has pictures of animals, that doesn't seem to help, although, I haven't tried it recently b/c it's cleaned for Pesach. Maybe I'll try different types. I also might try the wall.

I know I don't need to worry until 12 mos. I'm not in such a rush. Although, since she started moving more, the floor has become a much more exciting place and she entertains herself for much longer. The reason I want to help her is b/c I see that she's trying, but moving around is literally a huge shlep for her.

I think it's important to crawl properly. I've read that it helps hand-eye coordination and I don't want her to just drag herself around until she figures out how to pull herself up. That would make her miss out on this. I have poor hand-eye coordination and I think it's b/c I never crawled properly (says my mother) and just preceded to walk at 11 mos.

oohlala

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:08 am
found this:
http://www.milestonemom.com/

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:22 am
I was just at the doctor for her 9 month checkup and the Dr. gave me a referral for PT. She said it's fine that my daughter isn't crawling nicely (and completely NORMAL), but if I want to help her develop faster, I could take her.

I'm not sure if I'll do it. I might try the suggestions on here first. PT is very cheap (might be like a one time $8.00 fee), but it's a shlep and these appointments always seem to fall out during nap time.

acccdac

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:59 am
https://youtu.be/Oql972Jht5k

I saw this and thought of you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics