Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
ISO sensory activities at home

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:04 pm
My ds 4.5y is ka"h full of energy, very active and sensory seeking. He is also a very good hearted and good natured kid when calm Wink
He gets ot 2x a week but I don't know how much sensory he gets. As much as I tried to explain to the therapist that is the only reason I got him therapy I don't think he understood me. Anyway my issue is more for at home. The kid needs to jump, destroy, punch. ... as soon as he is done he calms down and is a doll, obedient sensitive to others, helpful. It's mind-boggling how he changes.
I need some good at home ideas for deep sensory outlets I can use instead of him destroying things around here.
(He just crumbled a foam headrest from our carat that was being cleaned for pesach) he would tear and destroy to shreds his sisters papers or crafts or his own for that matter.
I have some weights that he likes to play with and that helps him sometimes. I would tell him to do jumping Jacks, or to lay in the hallway and push the 2 walls. Sometimes I would roll him in his blanket or walk him on his hands. I live in Brooklyn so there is not much space for extras but I'm not always available to things with him and need to give him things he can do on his own. But I need a variety, too much of the same things is not much fun.

TeachersNotebook

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:22 pm
Perhaps this blog will help you? http://www.learnplayimagine.co.....ities I think most of her sensory activities are hands-on, supervision-needed, but she suggests sticking kids in the bathtub to contain the mess. In fact, her post on tips for sensory play might be really helpful to you.

Good luck!

animeme

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:23 pm
You have some good ideas already. Bury him in blankets on his bed. Give him a fitted sheet to wrap himself in. Get him a ball with those little things sticking up all over like cleats and let him roll it all over himself. Check out The Out of Sync Child for more ideas. You can maybe get these activity cards for variety:
http://www.amazon.com/In-Sync-.....67357

Teach him yoga, particularly the star position. Really. My kids' preschool got him to atay in the star for five minutes straight and I didn't believe them until I saw it myself. Holding his muscles still in one position takes a lot of energy. Get a book from the library on yoga for kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:27 pm
Put sofa cushions on the floor, and let him jump on top of them. Invest in a weighted blanket that he can haul around the house, they are worth their weight in GOLD!

My DD likes to be tickled really hard. When she gets over stimulated, I taught her to say "enough!" and I immediately pull my hands back. This gives her control, and teaches her how to self regulate, while improving her communication skills. She can start and stop the game as much as she likes (or until my arms get tired). We do this on the bed, so she can roll around without getting hurt.

I let her resist me as much as she likes, but we have a rule of no hitting, kicking, spitting, or biting. If any of these things happen, I tell her that she is too excited, and that I am done with the game until she can control herself. Usually it only takes a minute for her to catch her breath, and then she's begging me to start again. If another unwanted behavior happens, then I explain what she did, and I remove myself from the room calmly. I never punish, I just withdraw.

The best thing is, you get to interact with your child, and you don't have to buy any expensive therapy tools to do it! Very Happy

gazingblue

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:30 pm
Following...

Tirza

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:10 pm
Buy him a child sized yoga ball that he can bounce on and roll his body on. They're inexpensive on Amazon. Also try hacky sacks, squeeze balls, and lots of textured arts & crafts supplies.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:27 pm
Mine is a sensory seeker too but I find that sometimes the more tame activities regulate her just as well as the ones I would have thought more powerful. E.g hands in rice box, kinetic sand, some water and bubbles in the sink.

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:54 pm
Make an obstacle course in, under, and around furniture draped with blankets.

Take the mattress from his bed, and let him jump off a sturdy chair or stool onto it.

Spin around in a desk chair

If he likes jumping jacks, try jump rope, or just dancing around to upbeat music.

Get a music and movement CD that will direct him when you are busy.

Maybe a bath, with bubbles, pouring toys, or soap crayons (or try drawing shapes with your finger on a soapy back, and letting him guess what you drew).

You can also enlist him. Get him to "help" you clean by giving him non breakable things to move, shelves to rub, bowls to mix or lick.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:57 pm
About the weighted blanket, you don't need to spend a fortune on one. I made one for my dd and it cost like $8.00 and its the same thing! Look it up on pinterest. I made the one with bags of rice and duct tape. The only thing I did different, was that I made a tie fleece blanket to slip it into so its soft and comfy. It works well for DD.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:18 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Perhaps this blog will help you? http://www.learnplayimagine.co.....ities I think most of her sensory activities are hands-on, supervision-needed, but she suggests sticking kids in the bathtub to contain the mess. In fact, her post on tips for sensory play might be really helpful to you.

Good luck!

thanks, I like what I'm seeing there and what I got linked to.
http://www.andnextcomesl.com/2......html
this I think is going to be a winner I really want to try it after YT Iy"h

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:36 am
Shaving cream with toys in the bathtub before bathtime, then bathe and rinse. Kids love it.

Play doh, thera-putty, homemade silly putty

Bucket of rice, hide beads in a big container of rice and have him/ her find them all.

Moon sand

Lotion rubs. Lots of rubs with sensory brush.

Shani88

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:34 am
buy a trampoline

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:47 am
I know she me one who hung a swing inside for her sensory son. If you have space do trapeze too. Don't fo the mat!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers