Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Wants to wear the same thing every day

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:52 pm
For the past month or so, DS 2.5 has to wear the same one or two outfits 24 hours daily and will only wear his crocs, no shoes or socks. They are leggings and t-shirts - so they are good enough to sleep in. But keeping him clean is beyond frustrating. I actually just went out to buy extras of the same shirt - lucky they were still in stock.

We tried forcing him to wear something else, but he tantrum-ed and cried so much, we had to give in. He doesn't go out to playgroup, so going along with it is not so terrible, but with Pesach coming, we will be with family and this is not going to be easy. We have a drawer full of clothes (a lot of hand-me downs), but he won't wear anything nice. Even the ones with cute pictures. This is not at all my first child - but I've never had such a thing, so I'm also wondering if this could signal behavior issues that should be evaluated. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

lizard8

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:57 pm
This could very well be a phase. It might not be beneficial to him if you fight with hime to wear something else. Every morning allow him to choose what he wants to wear and get him dressed without comment.
Its pretty annoying that he chose to start with this close to y't. Maybe sometime in the afternoon (not during regular getting dressed time) show him his yt clothing and explain how beautiful it is and that he can't wear it now but only once y't comes. Don't ask him to try it on, just put it away. Repeat every day until yt.
I've done this trick with my kids, especially when a particular outfit was a little uncomfortable or not a style that they loved.

If he doesn't grow out of the phase, then take a look at all the other clothing he has and compare them to what he prefers to wear. Are there tags in the back? Are the other pants stiff? Material itchy? Tight pants?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics