Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pain causes holding breath- and that causes seizures?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:40 pm
I have one dc who used to hold their breath and pass out. I know some kids do that.

A different one of my kids has had an interesting reaction to pain that looks like a seizure. We took her to the ER the first 2 times it happened, and the second time they told me it was not a seizure, it was just a reaction to pain. I believed them. She did it one more time after that. Yesterday, it kind of happened again, but without the part that looked like a seizure. She held her breath and became pale and lethargic.

Tonight, she got hurt and held her breath. Then her eyes rolled up in her head and her body stiffened- and she had an accident on the floor. As soon as I saw the puddle forming on the floor, I called Hatzalah, because I know that's a sign of a seizure and she never had that before. She woke up right away and went to change her clothes. The doctor said it sounds like it was a seizure, and there definitely are kids who hold their breath until they have a seizure. He said to take her to a neurologist.

Has anyone heard of this before?

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 6:43 pm
yes. a neurologist will likely perform an EEG to determine if it will likely happen again or is due to an underlying seizure disorder...seems like it probably isn't...but will want to rule it out.

Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics