Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Most absurd Pesach-related thing you did today
Previous  1  2  3

rosehill

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:05 pm
Lilibet wrote:
Washed bio-degradable, cornstarch packing "peanuts" off set of Ancient Egypt plastic toy soldiers purchased on Amazon.com (toy army is slated to "drown" in a sea of blue tea-towels).

Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but cornstarch is kitniyot, not chametz. Though Ashkenazim are noheg not to eat kitniyot on Pesach, one doesn't have to go through all the drama of getting rid of it. Last year, there was a jar of peanut butter in a bag in the back of my fridge for the duration.

The absurd thing I did today, was engage in a lengthy negotiation with my 7-year old about whether we really needed to keep a bag of snow in the freezer.

I didn't win.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:07 pm
spent two hours vacuuming shelves that were never exposed to chometz after taking a red eye flight last night! yes, that's right.

yenny

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:11 pm
Ate and ate to gather strength

mille

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
That makes two of us, unless you count bringing home from work my packets of emergency instant oatmeal so that they can be consumed this week. So far my Pesach prep has consisted of consuming the genuine chometz lying around, so by now B"H there's very little genuine chometz left in the house, but all the odds and ends of chometzdik food remain to use up. No fun stuff like leftover Purim candy, just boring things cluttering up the fridge like half an apple, what looks like a penicillin factory but is probably some ancient salad and half a jar each of pickles, jam, soy sauce and chrain. My friend Shelly would combine them all into a relish of some sort and serve it with grilled chicken but I'm not that adventurous or creative. It'll probably all end up as landfill.

We're a step further, because I just bought a loaf of bread yesterday. Well, it'll be eaten by next friday, or we'll just have slightly more to burn for biur chametz Tongue Out We don't get rid of things like pickles or jam especially because they are kitniyot at worst (and simply not certified for pesach at worst), so no need to do anything there. We just cover parts of our fridge.

BTW one day later and we've still done nothing! LOL We're on track for the next-Thursday plan!

sped

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 12:06 am
rosehill wrote:
Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but cornstarch is kitniyot, not chametz. Though Ashkenazim are noheg not to eat kitniyot on Pesach, one doesn't have to go through all the drama of getting rid of it. Last year, there was a jar of peanut butter in a bag in the back of my fridge for the duration.

The absurd thing I did today, was engage in a lengthy negotiation with my 7-year old about whether we really needed to keep a bag of snow in the freezer.

I didn't win.

I am gearing up for that with my almost 5 yr old. Tell me, what arguments explanations did you come up with? Would they work with a younger child?

eschaya

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 2:44 am
Nothing. As in, I am making pesach including seder for the first time this year.... and I have not starting cleaning, turning over, cooking, nothing ! Dh is supposed to be doing the majority of the cleaning since I am too busy, but he's been busy too and this beginning to be downright absurd. 1 week till pesach and nothing done. I have a lot of items bought and waiting to be toiveled for use on pesach. Does that count ?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 2:55 am
Gold medal winning procrastination!!

Didnt cook
Didnt clean

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 3:16 am
Wait, I forgot ...

Stress-eating all unused chometz!

rosehill

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:56 am
sped wrote:
I am gearing up for that with my almost 5 yr old. Tell me, what arguments explanations did you come up with? Would they work with a younger child?

As I said, I failed, so perhaps you'll come up with something better, but my main arguments explanations were:
-it'll snow again next year
-think of all the yummy food we need to make room for
-you don't play with it anyway.

Then, the clincher,
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me get rid of it and I'll give you candy.

If anyone needs snow, I have a big bag of it in my freezer
What What What

gp2.0

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:07 am
rosehill wrote:
As I said, I failed, so perhaps you'll come up with something better, but my main arguments explanations were:
-it'll snow again next year
-think of all the yummy food we need to make room for
-you don't play with it anyway.

Then, the clincher,
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me get rid of it and I'll give you candy.

If anyone needs snow, I have a big bag of it in my freezer
What What What

If I were you, I would say that the snow is "expiring" in one day. He can either take it outside and have 10 minutes of fun playing with it, or it goes in the sink where it will melt all alone, its purpose of being played with sadly unfulfilled.

Lilibet

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:14 am
rosehill wrote:
Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but cornstarch is kitniyot, not chametz.

Yes, that's why it was absurd!

The plastic toys arrived inside a plastic bag, in a shipping box packed with cornstarch packing "peanuts". When I lifted the bag out of the peanuts, the bag was covered with a powdery residue. My instant response was to rush to the sink and wash off all of the powdery "chometz". Then I realized... what you said.

Ant that is why I started this thread with the: "Most absurd Pesach-related..."

I wonder if pre-Pesach cleaning-induced delusions are a medically recognized category.

Lilibet

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:20 am
sped wrote:

about having to let precious bag of carefully saved snow in freezer melt.

So, I had this with a pair of 4-year-olds. What I did was to declare a "scientific experiment". We set the snow on a deep platter on the kitchen table and they carried out a "scientific observation" of how long it would take for the snow to melt.

Whatever it takes...

mirror

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:53 pm
I got the last 6-pack of romaine lettuce at Costco, handed to me by an employee. I put it in my cart. I left my cart for a minute to pick up watermelon, and somebody had stolen my lettuce!

I went to a manager to complain that my lettuce was stolen. He took me to where the empty boxes of romaine were and he found one box left of romaine lettuce.

Cheers

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:52 pm
Worked for 12 hours and spent another two traveling.

bnm

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 6:35 pm
took the baby for shots erev pesach instead of Motzei so he will hopefully be covered in case we go someplace on Chol Hamoed. I'm doing takeout or simple pesach suppers the next 3 nights because there is no way I"m cooking chometz anymore. My cleaning lady did my kitchen today yet thekids are raiding the not kosher for pesach candy stuff while I'm nursing the cranky baby.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 6:40 pm
Went to my ob,and then went out to eat embarrassed

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 6:48 pm
Dumped all the toys from all my toyboxes into the bathtub, kept adding soap to the dirty disgusting black water hoping it will make it easier to fish the toys out, squeezed water out of stuffed animals, started to put them all back in the right boxes, and towards the end stuck toys wherever there was room.

Fave

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:02 pm
Baked Sanguine's "Brownie Cake that you can cut" and ate most of it myself Crying

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:26 pm
I forgot to set aside any chometz. My house is completely KLP. Oooops

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:04 pm
Devoirie wrote:
I got the last 6-pack of romaine lettuce at Costco, handed to me by an employee. I put it in my cart. I left my cart for a minute to pick up watermelon, and somebody had stolen my lettuce!

I went to a manager to complain that my lettuce was stolen. He took me to where the empty boxes of romaine were and he found one box left of romaine lettuce.

Cheers

LOL!!! Hysterical. At least you have a great attitude!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen