Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Will kashering granite ruin it?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:06 pm
Is it OK to kasher granite by pouring boiling water and ironing it? The countertop is just a few months old.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Is it OK to kasher granite by pouring boiling water and ironing it? The countertop is just a few months old.

AYLOR

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:13 pm
You should ask the person you bought the granite from. I know somebody who kashered her stainless steel sinks using boiling water, and the water overflowed and made a crack in her new countertops.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:58 pm
Are you ironing a wet granite counter? Is that even safe to do?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:27 am
My rov holds that you can't kasher granite because it is too porous. You can also ruin the sealant. Not every sealant is kosher so you have to check.

black sheep

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:27 am
Do not use an iron near water.
Even if your LOR tells you to do so.
Safety first.

ROFL

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 4:45 am
I am sorry. Are you saying you have to iron a surface you want to kasher after pouring boiling hot water on it? Why.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 5:10 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
Are you ironing a wet granite counter? Is that even safe to do?

I really wish the subject line included the iron so I could post to "immediate reactions".

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 7:11 am
That depends on the type of granite you have. Typically, granite can handle boiling water.

Why are you ironing it???

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 9:00 am
Oh I read about the iron thing online. I wondered if anyone actually does it. Most people I know use a rock or brick. The link I saw recommended heating the iron, then unplugging it and using it on the water surface.

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....d.htm

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 9:06 am
OP, your question is not one about Kashrus, right? I don't know why everyone is telling you to ask your LOR-- your question isn't one about halacha, you're asking if the actual kashering it will damage the granite.

Depends on the granite. Many people kasher their granite without any problems. Probably most people who decide to kasher their granite do so without any problems of cracking, etc.... I think it depends on the granite. I would venture to guess that the person who cracked her granite when she kashered her sink was in the minority.

Regarding using the iron, that's how we kasher our granite countertop. Or, rather, how my husband kashered the countertop.

There is one well-known, well-regarded posek in the Litvish world in eretz yisrael who advises doing it this way. I believe not all poskim allow kashering via iron.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen