Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Food for those who are lactose intolerant

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 9:36 am
My teenage dd recently realized that she's lactose intolerant. Her favorite foods are dairy! She opened up the fridge this morning and is a nervous wreck that she's going to starve over pesach. Everything she sees us yogurt, cheese, and butter. Can anyone help me come up with a decent list of foods that she can eat over pesach? Thanx so much.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 9:45 am
There are many different levels. From some, who cannot have anything with traces, to those who can have (some) yoghurt, and definitely cheese, and some low lactose milk. I discovered something fantastic: Lactase. It's a pill that allows me to eat almost like before, lactose wise. OTC here.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 10:03 am
She can eat dairy... She just won't feel well. Since she hasn't been strict up until now, maybe she should get off dairy after pesach? I hope she feels better asap!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
My teenage dd recently realized that she's lactose intolerant. Her favorite foods are dairy! She opened up the fridge this morning and is a nervous wreck that she's going to starve over pesach. Everything she sees us yogurt, cheese, and butter. Can anyone help me come up with a decent list of foods that she can eat over pesach? Thanx so much.
She can smear avocado on matza and eat scrambled eggs for breakfast, tuna scooped up with veggie sticks along with potato salad for lunch, meaty for dinner.

For over Shabbos when you can't cook up eggs she can enjoy hard boiled eggs or make them deviled or into salad.

Some people enjoy cake and banana for breakfast on Shabbos.

Tell us what dishes she is missing and we will help fill in.

I don't eat much dairy due to intolerance and manage fine.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 10:29 am
Thanx so much everyone. She actually has been off dairy for a few months. During that time, she did try a little bit of dairy twice and it wasn't worth it to her. Her stomach was bothering her like crazy! She is grossed out by the lactose free milk or other products and won't try them, she did try having a half slice of pizza with the lactaid pill. Again, her stomach still bothered her and it wasn't worth it. So she's totally off dairy for now. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanx.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 10:39 am
I am also lactose intolerant. Pesach means no dairy at all. I bought almond butter to have with matza and will bake some muffins later. There is klp almond milk but it's not great.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 10:50 am
If she's in bed (or toilets...) for hours or days it's not worth it.

I personally cannot tell the difference between regular "half skimmed" milk and "low L" milk (only unpateurized full milk). I LOVE spelt milk. She should really try and see. If not let her just skip any replacement of dairy.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 11:05 am
Some lactose-intolerant people can handle yogurt because the bacteria have digested some of the lactose.

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 12:18 pm
I just want to chime in that butter is ok since it it doesn't have any milk protein in it.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 12:43 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I just want to chime in that butter is ok since it it doesn't have any milk protein in it.

It's not ok. And yogurt is not ok for me either. I just don't touch dairy. Somehow I survive.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 1:02 pm
Lady Bug wrote:

Each person is different. There are no generalities.

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 05 2015, 3:15 am
We went without dairy for nearly 20 years, because our son is allergic to it.

For a milk substitute, you can use water, or water mixed with coconut milk/cream.

My son likes the non-dairy Rich's Whip for cream in coffee or hot choco.

Also, there are lots of kitniyos products out there this year. That should cheer her up.

November

Post Sun, Apr 05 2015, 11:34 am
I also do not eat any dairy. Snacking can be particularly challenging, but there's always: potato chips, pareve chocolate, fish, matzah and dips, avocado, cucumber salad, potato kugel, soup, chicken, canned pineapple, etc.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 05 2015, 3:44 pm
Butter is not lactose free but low lactose.aged parmasean is lactose free. Lactose free milk is just regular milk with the sugars broken down, nothing weird about it. Lactaid makes lactose free cottage cheese.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 05 2015, 9:41 pm
It's hard to see foods that will make you feel rotten, and really want them.

The mportant thing is to develop a list of options that she enjoys, and have hem on hand. A lot of dairy is appealng because it's grab 'n go, so have ready made choices right in front of her.

Some more ideas: spreads (guacamole, tapenade, shakshuka, eggplant, egg and/or tuna salad), cut up fruit and veggies, nuts and nut butters, fish, drinks that she likes, soups that are good hot or cold.

chatouli

Post Sun, Apr 05 2015, 11:16 pm
Cheddar cheese has no lactose. Could she try that in an omelet? Or shredded cheddar cheese in place of mozzarella for matzo pizza.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 1:36 am
Most kosher cheddar cheese does have lactose! Very aged cheddar cheese is low in lactose but I have yet to find a kosher brand of such aged cheddar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics