Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Spin-off - Bubbies' recipe expressions

penguin

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 8:01 pm
Trying to get my bubbie to explain how much of an ingredient to put into a dish:
"viffel es vament"

(As much as it needs?)

(She was American born, too!)

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 8:49 pm
Well, my Polish born Bubby's recipes were all about
"an Eifen" (a handful)
a Bissele (a little)
a glesseleh (a yartzeit glass)

and that's pretty much it.

No one can duplicate bubby's food. It was plain but delicious.

animeme

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 8:58 pm
My grandma would say, "some". When I asked how much, she would say, " I don't know. Some."

acemom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 10:46 pm
My aunt wanted to be able to duplicate her mother's recipe for challos, but there were no exact measurements. This is what she did:

For every ingredient that her mother added, she went and measured the amount exactly. When her mother poured flour, she measured the flour in a measuring cup or on a scale. The "bisel" salt sprinkled by hand got measured too, etc. etc.

Now the family has a recipe to follow at least...

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 11:20 pm
My great grandmother's tended to call for a "teacup" of flour and an "eggshell" of sugar.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:41 am
In the opposite direction, MIL's cholent recipe called for "1 can Crisco." They tell me it was delicious, but I'm sure not trying to make it.

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:48 am
My great grandmother made this amazing coffee cake. My mom asked her for the recipe, but when she made it. it was nothing like Nanas. SO the next time Nana visited, my mom asked Nana to make it for her. And she stood by with pen and pencil to write it down. The recipe called for a tablespoon of sour cream-Nana put in a pint. It called for 1/2 cup sugar, Nana put in 1 1/2 cups.....you get the idea. She had given my mom the 'recipe', but she followed her own changes as she went along.

Another story: a friends grandmother was asked to measure her ingredients so the family can have her recipes. So she did-she measured eveything in shot glasses!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:29 am
"I don't know! by the eye!and you taste!"

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:41 am
Barbara wrote:
In the opposite direction, MIL's cholent recipe called for "1 can Crisco." They tell me it was delicious, but I'm sure not trying to make it.

Beautiful sig line! I've been forgetting to keep up with them.
So there I am, nostalgic for the grandmothers I never knew (who were in the US well before WWII) and this might put things in perspective Tongue Out
(Though I do have an old macaroon recipe that I should dig up, I think it might be from a great-grandmother.)

penguin

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:15 pm
Then there was the young bride who couldn't imagine why her Bubbie's recipe didn't work.

Bubbie had said, "a bissel mehr, a bissel vainiger"
Hidden: 

(a little more, a little less)
. And so she put in some vinegar...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics