Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
How to make really good matzo farfel

LO

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:13 pm
Can someone please give directions on how to "dress up" the matza farfel recipe that comes on the box? I try making it every year but not excited with how it comes out.....Also, please post if you can freeze it or not....

Also, any ideas for matza farfel kugel, other than the standard one with apples?

Thanks in advance!

LO

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:28 pm
Anyone?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:49 pm
I have no idea what matza farfel recipe you are talking about, but I love matza farfel from the box, mixed with egg and a pinch of salt, and then toasted in an oven. Eaten with milk as a cereal, it's delicious.

LO

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:50 pm
I meant more like a side dish, like the regular farfel that is served during the year. Thank you!

L25

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 11:14 am
bump? anyone?

m in Israel

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:37 pm
This is from Sara Finkel's "Classic Kosher Cooking" and is a big hit in my family (I don't know what "box" recipe you are talking about -- this is not a sweet one):

oil for sauteing
2 large onions, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I just use a large can of mushrooms)
1 green pepper, diced (optional)
2 cups matzah farfel
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cup water or chicken soup (I use water with a bit of chicken soup mix)

Saute onions (and green pepper) in oil until soft. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Over low heat stir in matzah farfel and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add seasoning and water, and cook on low heat until all the liquid is absorbed and farfel is soft.

To make a kugel, prepare the farfel as above, and then stir in 4 beaten eggs and 1/4 cup oil. Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics