Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to add to this skirt
Previous  1  2

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:30 pm
I don't know what your budget is, but could you buy 2 of the same skirt? Use the material from 1 to lengthen the other and then add a little bit of trim to cover the seam line? It would look nice if you could pick up on the burgundy for the trim to coordinate with the shirt you plan to wear.

mommyofd1

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:39 pm
I'm in ny. I checked on their website and didn't see anything.

mommyofd1

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:40 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I don't know what your budget is, but could you buy 2 of the same skirt? Use the material from 1 to lengthen the other and then add a little bit of trim to cover the seam line? It would look nice if you could pick up on the burgundy for the trim to coordinate with the shirt you plan to wear.

I've thought about that but unless they go on sale for under $30 each then its too expensive.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:44 pm
mommyofd1 wrote:
I've thought about that but unless they go on sale for under $30 each then its too expensive.

Fair enough. Could you call up the company and ask if you could buy a length of the same fabric and explain why you need it? It might not be feasible, but worth a phone call.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 2:03 pm
Did you buy it full price? Loft is notorious for hiking up prices then having a sale - wait just a few days and the whole site will be 40 off, probably for Labor Day. Then just buy a second.

You're right, the colors are unique. But I really think any diff. fabric will look patched or color blocked, and not in a good way.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 3:43 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Did you buy it full price? Loft is notorious for hiking up prices then having a sale - wait just a few days and the whole site will be 40 off, probably for Labor Day. Then just buy a second.

You're right, the colors are unique. But I really think any diff. fabric will look patched or color blocked, and not in a good way.

I love the skirt. I agree with Mama Bear. Bookmark the page and check every day. As soon as it goes on sale, buy the biggest one you can find and have a seamstress combine them.....
It's a very unique skirt, and will go well with almost any top (burgundy, green, white, charcoal, black.....)

mommyofd1

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:34 pm
thank you all for your good advice! I called the company but no luck, they said they don't do that Sad don't worry I didn't get it full price - I got it for $46 do you think it'll go even lower than that? I'm not very familiar with loft pricing.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:37 pm
mommyofd1 wrote:
thank you all for your good advice! I called the company but no luck, they said they don't do that Sad don't worry I didn't get it full price - I got it for $46 do you think it'll go even lower than that? I'm not very familiar with loft pricing.

If it doesn't go on sale or it sells out - you can always go with the idea of adding leather. I think it could look really good. But if it does (and Loft frequently does) you can buy the second piece. You just have to be patient......

Butterfly

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:19 pm
[quote="mommyofd1"]to the comments that say just find a better skirt, I love the color combo (green, burgundy and white) in a tweed and I've never seen anything similar anywhere. It would be helpful to give me a link if you've seen something just as nice that's longer.
Quote:
To lengthen the skirt I would either add a dark 'grey' leather or a solid material (none leather) that blends well with the grey in the skirt. A shade or two darker than the grey in the skirt would look very nice IMO

I wouldn't add black nor burgandy because it may strike as too strong and therefore might appear as patched...
Its actually a dark green not grey

Hmmm I thought it was grey. I guess the true color didn't show up accurately in my computor.

I don't think that a green panel on the hem would look nice with this skirt especially since you matched it up with a burgandy top (which is really beautiful). I don't think a burgandy panel would do justice to this skirt either...

Two suggestions in-case you are desparate for this particular skirt and are willing to invest;

1- You can purchase another skirt and add to the hemline.
Order the biggest size possible because the skirt is usually fuller at the bottom and you might need the extra width to match the seamlines.

2- Order the biggest size skirt. Bigger sizes are usually longer than smaller sizes. If the length is sufficient enough just have a seamstress take it in from the sides and adjust the waste band.
I did that in the past when I needed the length.
I bought a size 20 skirt and altered it to a size 6.

If suggestion # 2 works for you, you can return the smaller skirt and probably get refunded for it.

mommyofd1

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:26 pm
thank you, I guess I'll just wait and see if It goes on sale before yom tov so I can combine it.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 6:30 pm
Most trimming stores today and fabric stores here in Monsey Tip Top in Bp 18th Ave fabric store have all kinds of borders-take along the skirt and they'll help you and the skirt will not only be more tzniyusdig butmore attractively designed

mommyofd1

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:47 pm
thanks for your suggestions but I decided its too hard to try and add to it; however, I am selling it on ebay if anyone is interested(its NOT tall). http://www.ebay.com/itm/251911.....l2649
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics