Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help me make this dress work?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 11:52 pm
Having trouble trying to figure out what to do with this dress. Shell underneath? What color? Or something over? I really love the dress but I'm not very fashionable and I can't decide how to wear it, lol.
It's a maternity dress and I'm 5 months along if that helps at all, don't know if that makes any difference.

http://I.imgur.com/FH235MF.jpg

Anon because I don't want to give my screen name away. Wink

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 11:54 pm
Pink shell underneath and pink belt.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:05 am
It depends when you're going to wear it-Shabbos Yom Tov a Simcha vort wedding etc. For a wedding I would wear a chiffon blouse soft full sleeve in a color cobalt blue- pink if you're young enough and the same color sash

rachel6543

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:11 am
A black, white or cream shell would look nice too. Add a pearl necklace and nice earrings and you have a very classy outfit.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:28 am
I'd go with a cardigan or shrug on top especially when pregnant. So sweet.

aquarius1

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:43 am
For a black simple dress, I'd add color and character with big jewelery and shoes that are a color that match the style of the jewelery. I'd stick with a black she'll. If not black, then maybe cream shell if it's spring or summer.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:56 am
Thanks for all the ideas. I had never thought of trying anything other than white or black under. I don't know if I could put that off, honestly, it's a bit out of my norm/comfort zone. I'll have to see what I have on hand.

Ugh, I wish I had better fashion sense. I was raised that fashion is unnecessary/immodest and that I should always wear big baggy clothes because I'm overweight. It has taken me years but I finally realize big and baggy just makes me look worse. This dress is a big step forward for me, something that looks nice and is not a big shapeless bag. But it makes me nervous too, and I'm anxious to make sure to make it look good. Does any of that make sense?

What kind of accessories do you think would look good, say when wearing to a wedding or when wearing on yom tov?

Thanks everyone for your help, it's really very much appreciated!!

aquarius1

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:07 am
For a wedding, I'd find a unique bulky costume jewelery necklace preferably with color in it and a cute matching clutch. J crew usually has nice necklaces like I described.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:09 am
Terrific dress. I vote for any long sleeve shell underneath, no belt or sash. Maybe dark purple or dark green. No jewelry except earrings. Bright eye-catching clutch bag. Sheer black hose, black shoes, shoe detail maybe. Bright red nails if you want more brightness.

It is beautifully draped: add nothing at all at the waist.

JMHO

supty

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 9:39 am
Unless youre tall and thin, I would not add a colored sash/belt. It cuts up your figure and is not flattering on most people. Personally I think monochromatic is most flattering, especially if you're expecting. I would wear a black shell underneath and add some color with accessories.

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:12 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'd go with a cardigan or shrug on top especially when pregnant. So sweet.

Me too.

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas. I had never thought of trying anything other than white or black under. I don't know if I could put that off, honestly, it's a bit out of my norm/comfort zone. I'll have to see what I have on hand.

Ugh, I wish I had better fashion sense. I was raised that fashion is unnecessary/immodest and that I should always wear big baggy clothes because I'm overweight. It has taken me years but I finally realize big and baggy just makes me look worse. This dress is a big step forward for me, something that looks nice and is not a big shapeless bag. But it makes me nervous too, and I'm anxious to make sure to make it look good. Does any of that make sense?

What kind of accessories do you think would look good, say when wearing to a wedding or when wearing on yom tov?

Thanks everyone for your help, it's really very much appreciated!!

For a wedding I'd say black or cream shell and because the dress is so simple and elegant, you can get away with more dramatic jewelry and makeup, which will also draw attention to your face, and away from your waistline. I'd do something bold for a necklace. You're going to look FABULOUS.

I think dressing in a classy, flattering fashion is the ESSENCE of tznius. I'm sorry you were educated differently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics