Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids destroy everything in the house

AhuvasIma

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:00 am
Any tried/successful tips to keep my kids from destroying everything in the house without tough discipline? Ie. Emptying toilet paper rolls, stepping on game boxes, losing all game pieces, writing on important papers, etc.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:53 am
This kind of behavior doesn't happen overnight, nor will the solution happen over night. Establish standards of behavior and enforce them.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:57 am
Stepping on game boxes on the floor, or losing pieces, or writing on important papers. Is normal child behavior unless the child is 15.....

Coloring on a wall, smashing eggs on your countertops, or throwing Legos at your windows, is not.

abby1776

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 12:29 pm
When my kids throw Legos or toys I take them away and tell them the toys are going away until you can play nicely with them. Board games I keep high up and take down when requested and then as soon as they are done I clean them up and count all the pieces. Even with that we are on our second candy land and monopoly sets.

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:20 pm
What ages? SN involved?

Well the obvious answer is to show proper reaction, and they will learn from it. That's kind of how everyone learns.

AhuvasIma

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:59 pm
Op here. They are four kids, the oldest is 5, so I guess it is normal. But so frustrating. How am I supposed to react when it happens??

asp40

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:04 pm
You have to put the stuff away that you don't want them to get into. That's the o ly way at this age. If you do see them doing the wrong thing, remind them of the rules and have them go you clean up.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:07 pm
AhuvasIma wrote:
Op here. They are four kids, the oldest is 5, so I guess it is normal. But so frustrating. How am I supposed to react when it happens??

You tell them that the behavior is unacceptable. You add the consequences (removing toys etc) and you do this consistently, every time, without emotion.

Has your eldest ever been held accountable for their behavior? Was he/she ever disciplined?

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:16 pm
AhuvasIma wrote:

Give them a logical consequence. You break the toy? I put it away. You make a mess? You clean it up.
I follow the following principles:
-be proactive. You have 4 kids under 5. Don't leave them unattended. Plan and supervise their activities so they don't get bored. Redirect if they are into mischief.

- You don't want to create dangerous situations or a negative atmosphere at home. Don't leave things out that will be destroyed or will hurt your kids. Leave only a few sheets of toilet paper next to the seat, the rest put up on a shelf out kids reach.

- When a problem occurs, then as I said, a logical consequence. A time out for a spill is not logical. A clean up is. A time out would be logical for a tantrum or smth of this kind. An apology for hurting other person, etc.

AhuvasIma

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:39 pm
Op. Yes my kids have been disciplined, all the time. I just find myself getting upset at them too often and am trying to avoid all my negative reactions. I appreciate your responses. I guess what I'm coming out of this with is keeping as much out of reach, having them clean up their messes, and not responding with emotion.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:45 pm
AhuvasIma wrote:
Op. Yes my kids have been disciplined, all the time. I just find myself getting upset at them too often and am trying to avoid all my negative reactions. I appreciate your responses. I guess what I'm coming out of this with is keeping as much out of reach, having them clean up their messes, and not responding with emotion.

Good so let's take this one step further. Have your previous methods worked? If they didn't it's time for a change.

SRS

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:13 pm
What has worked for us fairly well, not perfectly but reasonably, is that I constantly remind them that we put each toy or activity away before the next. I also help them by setting an example and by sitting with them to do things like count in the 24 puzzle pieces or bring the toy back to the shelf. Things like toilet paper have to be continually monitored and if someone makes a mess they have to deal with the aftermath. My desk has always been off limits and it seems to work even though I have one kid who is unusually difficult. Four kids under 5 sounds REALLY tough. I think you probably need to consider supervising them your job even while being pro-active. I'd make sure that the bathroom stays closed and perhaps be proactive on the environment of your home and the setup. . . .fewer toys, putting in an extra door to help stop traffic, whatever it takes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics