Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Apparently its normal, but not enough for me!

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 1:54 am
So I read recently that 10-13 hours of sleep is normal for preschoolers--and my kids seem to be on the 10 hour end. Especially during y"t with travel and late hours, they've been sleeping about 10 hours at night. Even before y"t if they would go to be at 9:30pm they would wake up around 7:30am. I've tried SOOO many things to get them to bed earlier. Often they are ready for bed between 6:30-7:30, but then bedtime becomes a 3 hour ordeal to get them to fall asleep--and if they by some miracles DO fall asleep earlier, then they wake up in the middle of the night or come to our room to sleep. My kids (4 and almost 3) cannot seem to get rid of the nap entirely (4y/o basically only naps on Shabbos and sometimes on Sunday) trying to fight the nap usually backfires and it happens anyway. I'm so jealous of the mommies who get their kids to bed by 6:30-7pm and have an evening to do things.

acccdac

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:17 am
bed doesnt mean sleep.

bed means that at 6:30/7:00/7:30/8:00 whatever time works and is age appropriate you do the bedtime routine, you say goodnight, give a kiss and leave the room.

They can read in their bed, they can look at books, they can talk to their sibling (as long as the other sibling is a willing participant) and they go to bed when they are tired.

They are required to wake up on time for school. if they cant they wake up anyways and deal with the consequence and when they say they're tired you sympathize with them "oh honey I know, I hate when I go to work tired, usually going to bed earlier the next day helps. try and get through the day as best as you can, if you want me to help you get to bed earlier tonight let me know and I'll help you with that plan"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers