Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Please help me with my salads

sped

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 9:15 pm
My mayonnaise tonight flopped 3 times. I give up! How can I make potato saald and coleslaw without mayonnaise?
Thanks!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 9:17 pm
You can easily make those two things with a vinagrete - do you use vinegar?

sped

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 9:33 pm
yes, I do use vinegar. Please can you give me exact instructions?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:00 pm
sped wrote:
My mayonnaise tonight flopped 3 times. I give up! How can I make potato saald and coleslaw without mayonnaise?
Thanks!

Just omit the sesame from the recipe I posted up thread

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....30094

For potato salad, while potatoes are warm, drizzle with dressing made of: 3 tbsp vinegar, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp marror, 1/3 cup olive oil, then toss gently and season season with salt and pepper to taste

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Apr 08 2015, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

random shadchan

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 10:12 pm
I can't help with the potato salad, but maybe make a cabbage salad without mayo?

cbg

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 11:20 pm
Syrian style potato salad
Boiled potato cut in big chunks
Olive oil
Lemon juice
All Spice (a lot, very important)
Salt
Pepper (to taste)

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 11:52 pm
I dunno, I've found most things people make with mayo go just fine without it, subbing a lesser amount of olive oil instead. For example, pasta salad with mayo I find gross and goopy, but I can use the exact same seasonings with a little oil instead of mayo and it comes out JUST FINE. Veggie salads too. So I don't see why cole slaw and potato salad would be different.

sped

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 12:05 am
Thanks so much. I have no almonds, allspice or maror!
Any other ideas?

sped

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 12:05 am
And no scallions.
I should also point out that I have kohlrabi, not cabbage for my salad. I guess any other salad with shredded kohlrabi and the few ingredients I use would be great!
Any other ideas?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 1:34 am
sped wrote:
And no scallions.
I should also point out that I have kohlrabi, not cabbage for my salad. I guess any other salad with shredded kohlrabi and the few ingredients I use would be great!
Any other ideas?
I think a dressing of equal amounts sugar, vinegar and oil should be fine for both! Season with salt and pepper to finish off if so inclined.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:02 am
sped wrote:
And no scallions.
Any other ideas?

Instead of having people shooting ideas at you in the dark and rejecting them because you do not use or have the ingredients, would it not be more effective, to say nothing of kinder, to list the ingredients you DO have and ask people to give you ideas what you can make using only those ingredients? You could make it a contest, with the winner getting a small card with her name on your table to the effect of "this salad is served thanks to the generosity of ________ who shared the recipe". You could email her a photo of the salad if you make it on chol hamoed.

sped

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:38 am
zaq wrote:
Instead of having people shooting ideas at you in the dark and rejecting them because you do not use or have the ingredients, would it not be more effective, to say nothing of kinder, to list the ingredients you DO have and ask people to give you ideas what you can make using only those ingredients? You could make it a contest, with the winner getting a small card with her name on your table to the effect of "this salad is served thanks to the generosity of ________ who shared the recipe". You could email her a photo of the salad if you make it on chol hamoed.

Smile Smile
The above are ingredients the recipes need. As I went along, I realized that I am pretty limited...
But the idea of giving credit looks good!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 3:35 pm
Did you try fixing the mayo?
http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....mayo/

ray family

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 5:50 pm
if you have an immersion blender it's really useful in making perfect mayo. start w/ the stick ant the bottom of your container slooooowly pull up. by the time you get to the top you should have perfect mayonnaise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics