Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Make next years Pesach (shopping) lists NOW!

Liebs

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 7:05 pm
I found it so helpful this year when I printed out my shopping list and went shopping early to avoid the masses of people shopping.

Make your list now. You know what you needed, how much you used about, what the stores run out of...

I also write a list of which recipes went over well and other tips such as how much shelving paper etc.
and how to do things. What to buy to add on for next year like more glasses or this year I realized pain not to have bentchers and take out hagados....serving piece.....how much matzah we ate...how man bottles of grape juice....what to buy and toivel early...what amounts I cooked for guests and how much was left over (how many kilo of meat)...

So my tip to all of you...eventhough you're tired. Make your lists!!!!

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:22 am
Exactly what I do. I basically update this year's list on the computer. Save it as Pessach Shopping List 2016 and you're ready to go next year. I also add tips like to make specific recipes that were successful this year, things I saved (like toothpicks) - Just make a line through it for next year but leave it on the list for future years.

My Pesach stuff is very accessible during the year so I often "steal" things from there during the year (I had lost my salt shaker and took the Pesach one...) so I just add it to the list right then.

You might also want to add how many people you cooked for this year since that affects the list (I've had 17 people for 2 days yontif - this year it was mostly just us and we didn't even make seder - but there was lots of Chol HaMoed - it affects #s of everything too).

I also save all my menus and then just start from there (I do that for RH too which can be a 3 day chag and is overwhelming if you start from nothing). I do that for my Pesach cleaning schedule too.

That's why I saw no purpose in buying a book of Pesach lists. You can read someone else's the first time but it really has to be your own lists saved and updated (clean the high chair, stroller and car seats are permanently deleted from my cleaning list since my "baby" is 14 years old Very Happy )

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:37 am
Me too. I have, on my computer, a master shopping list that I revise every year, a cleaning schedule, menus (including who joined us for meals), and notes that I write down after the chag with reminders and tips for the next year regarding: quantities of different food items that we consumed, what recipes worked well, what not to make, adjustments for certain recipes, utensils that I need to buy, where I stored certain special Pesach items, etc. You really don't remember from year to year. It's important to keep a record of things.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:45 am
I actually started making lists of yom tovim since I got married. My mom did it for Pesach and it was always helpful (and stuck to the pesach cabinet so she knew where it was and could edit as the year went on and grab it early to prep.
I write what we need to buy less/more of, the new additions (and status- like white mixing bowl is pareve), the "don't forget to buy" (like a wine bottle opener. Ours runs away most years) and the "it would be nice to have" (but can survive without...). All lists are attached so if I need to look up status I can always look at previous lists. I forget. This year we labeled boxes better so I hope it solves many issues...
I also include a "how to kasher" of stuff we asked sheilahs on and since nothing changes year to year we shouldn't have to ask again. Ok, I'd love it if our sink changed (means we moved!!) but that's another story. Why bother our Rav on the same thing- odds are we will have a bazillion more to ask by next year!
Computer, while easier, didn't work for me me as mine crashes too easily. Smile

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:51 am
LittleDucky wrote:
I actually started making lists of yom tovim since I got married. My mom did it for Pesach and it was always helpful (and stuck to the pesach cabinet so she knew where it was and could edit as the year went on and grab it early to prep.
I write what we need to buy less/more of, the new additions (and status- like white mixing bowl is pareve), the "don't forget to buy" (like a wine bottle opener. Ours runs away most years) and the "it would be nice to have" (but can survive without...). All lists are attached so if I need to look up status I can always look at previous lists. I forget. This year we labeled boxes better so I hope it solves many issues...
I also include a "how to kasher" of stuff we asked sheilahs on and since nothing changes year to year we shouldn't have to ask again. Ok, I'd love it if our sink changed (means we moved!!) but that's another story. Why bother our Rav on the same thing- odds are we will have a bazillion more to ask by next year!
Computer, while easier, didn't work for me me as mine crashes too easily. Smile

I keep a menu list for the Chagim too and also write down who we invited (and who invited us) and for which meals. Actually since we usually host pretty much the same people every year, this list helps me not to repeat the same menus.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 12:07 pm
I do this, including lists of popular foods, what we used approx, what I saved from this year, like plastic covers/ foodstuff etc, and where it is all stored in numbered boxes.

Plus lists of what needs cleaning and timetable, so I can plan easier, I just don't remember details year on year.

I did try to be consistent with what is in each box each year, but it never quite works.

Saved on my computer as Pesach year 20xx.

I find it helps a lot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics