Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Refilling Solo 30 Cup Water Urn on 2 or 3 day Yom Tov

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:27 pm
Mine was filled at the beginning of Yom Tov. I believe I was told that if you fill any urn up a little at a time on Shabbos or Yom Tov, you wont make the electricity go on. I realized that even if I add ONE cup at a time to this Urn, which is very little, that Buzz sells lots of, the electricity goes on immediately.

How have others used this on a 2 or 3 day Yom Tov, when it starts emptying because of use, and you

a- need hot water for coming days and
b- dont want the heating element to burn out because of little or no water?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:40 pm
Mevater wrote:
Mine was filled at the beginning of Yom Tov. I believe I was told that if you fill any urn up a little at a time on Shabbos or Yom Tov, you wont make the electricity go on. I realized that even if I add ONE cup at a time to this Urn, which is very little, that Buzz sells lots of, the electricity goes on immediately.

How have others used this on a 2 or 3 day Yom Tov, when it starts emptying because of use, and you

a- need hot water for coming days and
b- dont want the heating element to burn out because of little or no water?

We were told we can refill on Yom Tov, not Shabbos, because of cooking.

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We were told we can refill on Yom Tov, not Shabbos, because of cooking.

Am I not turning on the urn's electricity, just like turning on a light switch though? Its def reacting to that ONE cup of water being added, immediately. Its a pretty Urn though.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:01 pm
Mevater wrote:
Am I not turning on the urn's electricity, just like turning on a light switch though? Its def reacting to that ONE cup of water being added, immediately. Its a pretty Urn though.

The electricity is on the whole time. Adding water causes the water to cook up, and often you will hear the whistling as it cooks up. But the electricity has been continuous throughout.
Similar to crockpot. Raw food put in to crockpot that is already on will cook up, but the crockpot won't work any harder than when it was on but empty.
That is my understanding.

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The electricity is on the whole time. Adding water causes the water to cook up, and often you will hear the whistling as it cooks up. But the electricity has been continuous throughout.
Similar to crockpot. Raw food put in to crockpot that is already on will cook up, but the crockpot won't work any harder than when it was on but empty.
That is my understanding.

True, but if its not a problem to make the heating element start warming, why did I hear at some Shiur not to add too much water at a time to urns, so you wont get the electricity going?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:49 pm
Interesting. Mine's not a Solo but I assume they work the same. I boiled water in a pot and added the boiling water to the urn. No changes in light, noise, etc.

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:54 pm
I learned to boil water on the stove (on YT) and then add it to the urn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen