Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Extended Fraud Alert - how to remove? Help!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:16 am
About a year ago, my credit card was frauded. I got a call from my credit card company asking if I had made a number of transactions which I did not, and I told them so. They canceled my card and issued me a new one. A couple of months later the same thing happened. Again they canceled my card and issued me a new one. But they told me at that time that I was eligible for a free Fraud Alert Service so no one can open any cards in my name or get my credit information without my permission. I said OK. Forgot all about it until I recently applied for a new credit card and was rejected because they could not verify my credit information due to the fraud alert that was locked into all three major credit unions. Trans Union, Equifax and Experian. I am having a difficult time trying to remove the fraud alert...online says I should call, when I call they say they need my info in writing, etc. etc. I am going around in circles. How can I remove the extended Fraud Alert from my records? What I thought would be a good secure service, has turned into a nightmare! Help!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:37 am
I would start by calling original credit card company and seeing exactly what they did. I've had credit protection before that called me for a prearranged password to verify it was me applying for the credit card. I was never blocked though. Good luck!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:22 pm
OP here. As far as I recall, the credit card company who put on the alert, told me it was for three or maybe six months and then would be removed. Regretfully I cannot find the paper where I wrote the info I now need like who I spoke to and what the terms and conditions are. I was under the impression that after the three or six months it would automatically be removed, not that I have to make myself meshuggeh trying to figure out how to get myself unlocked from my own applications, weird!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:19 pm
You need to call each of the three credit agencies separately and have them remove the fraud alert.
They will tell you that they will share info with the others but in actuality if you want this done properly all around call each one yourself.
Fraud alert is a good thing. As long as they have an accurate phone number where you are reachable (cell phone) so they can call you for verification on an application, the system totally works to protect you and is for your benefit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics