Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Is frozen lemon meringue pie recipe

cooksallday

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 4:20 pm
Hi I tried searching but can't find anything
This yom tov I tried a really yummy dessert at someone's house- like a lemon meringue pie no crust, frozen lemon creamy bottom and meringue topping that was toasted but then it's frozen. apparently it's from a yeshiva cookbook but I don't have it, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Thanks and chag sameach!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 4:24 pm
I have a recipe for lemon meringue ice cream pie - lemon ice cream and toasted and frozen meringue topping. There is a crust though...I'm sure you could make it without as well. Are you interested?

cooksallday

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 4:38 pm
Yes please! I think the lady said she normally makes with a crust but made without

Shopmiami49 wrote:
I have a recipe for lemon meringue ice cream pie - lemon ice cream and toasted and frozen meringue topping. There is a crust though...I'm sure you could make it without as well. Are you interested?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 5:14 pm
There was a crust recipe using nuts in one of the mags.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:34 am
The crust is a sleeve of tea biscuits or equivalent of graham crackers, crushed with a few tablespoons of margarine and dark brown sugar. On Pesach, I make a crust of crushed potato cookies or lady fingers, ground nuts, walnut oil, and brown sugar.

Ice cream:
1.5 c. powdered sugar
4 yolks
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice

Beat together until creamy, yogurt consistency.

Then add 2 cups of Rich's whip, whipped, and fold it in to the yellow mixture.

Freeze until solid.

Beat 4 egg whites with 3/4 c. white sugar until stiff and spread meringue topping over the ice cream pies (it makes 3 round pies). Either broil it in the oven for 30 seconds-1 min - check carefully to make sure it doesn't burn!- or use a kitchen torch. Put it back in the freezer until you serve it.

madys

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:47 pm
I made this for the first days - a huge hit!! It's from Jamie Geller, Joy of Kosher Website

(I skipped the whole meringue part)

Ingredients
5 egg yolks
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups non-dairy whipped topping
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 lemon zest
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until light yellow. Remove from bowl and set aside.
Add non-dairy whipped topping to the bowl. Whip until soft peaks form. Add lemon juice and zest. Fold whipped cream mixture into yolk mixture and pour into spring form pan.
Cover and freeze for 5 hours.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites with sugar until soft peaks form. Remove pie from freezer and spread egg white mixture over mousse. Brown the top using a kitchen torch, or broil for 1 minute. Return to freezer. Serve frozen.
As seen in the Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Passover 2012

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:55 pm
Mine is similar to the one above. I dk where I got it from but it was a hit

Lemon meringue ice cream
5 egg yolks
1 ¾ c confectionary sugar
¾ c lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
2 pints whip topping
Meringue:
5 egg whites
¾ c sugar
Ice cream:
Cook eggs with sugar in a double boiler for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Do NOT let it curdle. Add lemon juice.
Beat whip and combine with egg mixture.
Pour into glass pyrex or into a silicone mold.
Deep freeze overnight.
Meringue:
Preheat oven to 400.
Beat whites while slowly adding the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and spread or pipe the meringue over the ice cream. Place on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until the meringue is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Make sure to watch closely. As soon as meringue is browned remove from oven immediately and refreeze. Careful to allow this to have its space in the freezer as the meringue is very delicate and will stick to whatever it is wrapped in.

cooksallday

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:57 pm
Thank you all so much! I Have saved the recipe! For some reason I didn't get a notification about the replies

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 6:44 am
I know this is from a long time ago but I had found this recipe on Jamie Geller's site but was wondering about using all those raw eggs in the lemon part. Any thoughts on that? Does freezing it protect from whatever bacteria lives in raw eggs?

https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....-pie/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics