Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Am I insane for packing paper towels

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:47 am
We are making Aliya on August 20 and I am packing my luggage. I am sending a lift but won't have anything for at least a month. I don't want to have to go shopping as soon as we arrive (family of 6 - 4 kids including a 2 yo and a 3 yo). So I packed some paper plates, plastic cutlery napkins and paper towels. I figure someone will spill something and I will need to clean something up. I packed cloth kitchen towels too but I won't have a washer right away either. How insane am I for packing paper towels? Anon because I am embarrassed that I am actually packing paper towels. Come to think of it I should throw in a few rolls of toilet paper too.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 2:56 am
Not insane at all. In fact paper towels are one of the few things I would bring from the u.s rather than buy here in Israel.
And I wouldn't even bring ziplock bags Smile

karen berzon

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 3:06 am
Osher Ad sells a number of Kirkland products, including toilet paper and paper towels.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 3:33 am
amother wrote:
We are making Aliya on August 20 and I am packing my luggage. I am sending a lift but won't have anything for at least a month. I don't want to have to go shopping as soon as we arrive (family of 6 - 4 kids including a 2 yo and a 3 yo). So I packed some paper plates, plastic cutlery napkins and paper towels. I figure someone will spill something and I will need to clean something up. I packed cloth kitchen towels too but I won't have a washer right away either. How insane am I for packing paper towels? Anon because I am embarrassed that I am actually packing paper towels. Come to think of it I should throw in a few rolls of toilet paper too.

These reasons seem very sane to me. It's something you'll need right away -- might as well have it on hand. Why do you think it's crazy?

Sanguine

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 3:41 am
Pack a drop so you don't have to run out the first day for paper towels (though you can buy paper towels when you buy your milk that first day). Paper towels are very cheap here but I buy the Israeli brands cause I think that's what a paper towel should feel like (I don't know any better). If you have room, it's easiest to bring a roll or two for the first days but don't expect to "import" American paper towels all the time (unless you're also importing an American salary Very Happy )

m in Israel

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 3:45 am
Not crazy at all. When we made aliya I packed things like toiletries for a few days. It has nothing to do with whether or not you like the Israeli products. It was simply that I also didn't think I would be up to running out and shopping immediately after landing from a transatlantic flight with 4 little kids. We actually had some friends who bought basics for our kitchen (cereal and milk, paper goods, pasta, etc.) in the temporary rental we were staying in, so I really didn't need to go to the supermarket for the first few days, which was very appreciated! Between the jetleg (yours and the kids), and the plain exhaustion of a move, anything you can do to make those first few days easier is a good idea, IMO.

grace413

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 3:52 am
Welcome! Nothing wrong with doing what you can to make settling in easier.

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 4:46 am
I know people who came with a cooler and food for the first two days as well. Smart people. Enough trouble getting used to stuff here with jetlag for those two days, at least they had what when wanted.
Paper towels and disposables for the first month are great, enjoy them. Maybe also buy a few large plastic trash bags for disposal of all the junk.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 4:52 am
Is there anyone you know in your soon-to-be neighborhood who can do a preliminary shop for you before you arrive and stock you up on some of the things you will need for the first few days, like milk, cereal, bread, tissues...?

Hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 5:26 am
freidasima wrote:
I know people who came with a cooler and food for the first two days

I don't believe that!! Maybe a second one with hot food in it too shock

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 9:19 am
Also pack tons of ziploc bags!! I've been living here for 11 months and have yet to find ziploc bags in any stores I've been too. And there's been soo many times to count where I've been like ugh I wish I had a ziploc bag!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:01 am
sprayonlove wrote:
Also pack tons of ziploc bags!! I've been living here for 11 months and have yet to find ziploc bags in any stores I've been too. And there's been soo many times to count where I've been like ugh I wish I had a ziploc bag!

They have ziploc type bags at Super Sol and related chains under the store brand, Habayit Halavan. Also, Nicol has bags where you slide a plastic handle to seal them instead of pressing them together.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 10:10 am
I just found Bounty paper towels in the makolet today.

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 4:36 pm
imasoftov wrote:
They have ziploc type bags at Super Sol and related chains under the store brand, Habayit Halavan. Also, Nicol has bags where you slide a plastic handle to seal them instead of pressing them together.

I've never seen them at my local supersol! Maybe different stores carry different things? But I'll keep checking. Before I was looking and looking for powdered sugar and never found it. And then one day I saw it in Rami levi! But I know they definitely dont carry it all the time.

Liba

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 4:43 pm
We came with a cooler full of food. We knew we wouldn't have our lift for a while, and our fridge was on our lift. We bought an Israeli freezer so we could make ice to put in the cooler to keep food cold until we had our fridge.

Our stove/oven was also on our lift, but we brought the (built in, but the counter was ready for them) double gas burners in one of our suitcases so we had something to cook on and a couple pots as well.

I am a bit of a planner and knew exactly where we would be and what we needed.

Hatzlacha on your aliya!! Mazal tov!!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:09 pm
b''eH, we're making aliyah this summer and I would love to hear from more people about what you brought with you (or wished you had!!!!).

Thank you!

5mom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:19 pm
First, good luck with the move!

In your luggage, being along extras of any prescription meds and any over the counter stuff that you use, so you don't have to deal with that right away. Don't forget sunscreen. Very necessary here, and quite expensive.

Israel is a civilized country (most of the time Smile) so just about anything you need is available, depending on what you are willing to pay. I would bring an extra laptop and printer cartridges before paper towels. Depending on your kids' ages, you may want to bring classic books and toys too.

Then it comes down to space. If you have room in your lift and you are moving to an area where it gets cold (the north, gush etzion) bring winter coats and down quilts, which are expensive here.

Our big indulgence was paper goods. I stocked up on fancy paper and plastic which I have used to make sheva brachos etc. But there is plenty of that here, and it gets more affordable all the time. If I were moving now, I don't think I'd bring it.

I also brought garbage bags, clorox wipes and swiffer refills, but only because I had extra space.

B'hatzlacha!

bluebird

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:21 pm
OP, how did the paper towels work out? Very Happy

(Personally, I don't think it's insane at all! Moving is stressful no matter how far. If paper towels help you cope, by all means pack them!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions