Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Shout out to you ladies who are put together when you shop!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 8:29 am
I love this time of year. There are so many people in the stores who you don't see during the year and we're all in this together, filling our wagons, be"H, with good food for yom tov.
Sometimes I find myself in the store, having run out for something that I need NOW and I'm not exactly dressed for success, IYKWIM. So when I see you ladies in sheitels, real shoes (vs. knock off Crocs), etc. I'm so glad you're letting the not so regular shoppers know we're not all bag ladies.
Chag kasher v'sameach!

ange

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 6:26 pm
Hysterical! I was envious of the ladies who shop in heels and smart outfits. More so, the ones who played in the park with heels an shaitel! When I tried it myself I felt so silly and uncomfortable though, so I went back to the snood and sneakers. Very Happy

Whatever works Smile

Emotional

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 10:30 pm
Put together? PUT TOGETHER?!!! I got out of bed! And I SHOWERED!! If that doesn't make me look like a million bucks...

lifesagift

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 12:13 am
Uch, thanks for reminding me... I went to the pizza shop before yt feeling fab in my sporty T-shirt n slinky skirt... Boy did I feel like the black sheep amongst the many elegantly clad women... embarrassed

mirror

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 12:47 am
Not everybody dresses for a wedding when they go shopping. I don't see why this is the norm.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:32 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I love this time of year. There are so many people in the stores who you don't see during the year and we're all in this together, filling our wagons, be"H, with good food for yom tov.
Sometimes I find myself in the store, having run out for something that I need NOW and I'm not exactly dressed for success, IYKWIM. So when I see you ladies in sheitels, real shoes (vs. knock off Crocs), etc. I'm so glad you're letting the not so regular shoppers know we're not all bag ladies.
Chag kasher v'sameach!

Maybe it means that they just ran out of work place to shop? Maybe they wished they could have sneakers and snood, but hAVE to have heels and wig?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:18 am
I always try to look a little less shlumpy than usual, because with my luck, I will ALWAYS run into someone important. Every. Single. Time. embarrassed

Seriously. We could be the only two frum people in the entire supermarket, and we will bump into each other, and the other person will look fabulous, guaranteed. I'd like to think that I don't care what others think of me, but I do have some dignity, you know? Wink

rachel91

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:40 am
I try to look put together all the time( I leave my house). That's propably why I look put together while shopping aswell ; ).

Emotional

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:43 am
rachel91 wrote:
I try to look put together all the time( I leave my house). That's propably why I look put together while shopping aswell ; ).

Oh! Well, excyoooooooooooooz me! Tongue Out Tongue Out Very Happy

vicki

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:11 am
Devoirie wrote:
Not everybody dresses for a wedding when they go shopping. I don't see why this is the norm.

Agreed.
Strange thread from my point of view.
I dress up for a dressy event, I look casual for a casual event, you get the idea.

Wedding is dressy. Shopping is casual. Park is casual, unless it's also Shabbat or Yom Tov and then it's dressy.

I don't have particular extra respect for a shopper in high heels or fancy sheitl. When they help another shopper reach an item on a high shelf I have extra respect for them. (not saying you don't).

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:55 am
vicki wrote:
Agreed.
I dress up for a dressy event, I look casual for a casual event, you get the idea.

Wedding is dressy. Shopping is casual. Park is casual, unless it's also Shabbat or Yom Tov and then it's dressy.

I don't have particular extra respect for a shopper in high heels or fancy sheitl. When they help another shopper reach an item on a high shelf I have extra respect for them. (not saying you don't).

ITA.
Anyway, shopping here on erev chag - or even anytime during the week of chag- is not for the faint hearted. High heels are definitely not recommended.
First, you have to pray for a parking space and for a cart. In the happy event that you find both, you take a deep breath, and try to get to the entrance of the store w/o being run over by the other cars and carts traversing the too-small parking lot. When you finally enter the store after being given the once over by the store's guards and the soldiers, you just try to focus on putting what you need in the cart, manouvering the cart (often easier said than done) w/o bumping into the hordes of other shoppers (including the throngs of children who are already off from school) and shelf stockers blocking the aisles, checking hashgachas (including shmitta status for produce), price, nutritional value etc.. You try to smile politely at the other people you know but not too much, lest they engage you in conversation and cause you to lose your focus or worse, to forfeit that last head of bug-free lettuce or tub of non-kitniyot margarine or carton of eggs. Then it's check out time - you try to pick the shortest of the inevitably long lines and if you're lucky and if you ask nicely there will be a packer who helps you pack your groceries. If not, then you better be quick about it or invoke the wrath of the disgruntled and equally exhausted shoppers behind you in line.
There are many wonderful things about celebrating chag in Israel. The supermarket frenzy is not one of them.

rachel91

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:00 am
vicki wrote:
Agreed.

Yes, I agree. Put together in my opinion is not particularly fancy. I don' t get dressed up shabbesdig with heels to go shopping. Just plain put together, dressed. Very Happy Sorry if it came over that way.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:30 am
Not wearing moc Crocs does not = high heels.
And yes, I did see someone who I suspect was test driving her new yom tov sheitel, but I wasn't going that extreme.

I guess I should have gone anon, I do have kids in shidduchim Twisted Evil All I meant was making a bit of effort, and not wearing a stained, potato starched top, pilly skirt, snood that had seen better days...somewhere on the continuum between SuperShlump and chasuna ready.
The truth is, that I'm a big believer in making an effort, no matter how minimal. If I pass a mirror and see I've put on a little base and eyeliner I feel good. And a necklace and clean clothes help too. B"H I was so happily busy last week and the week before I really didn't have time for it. I just wanted to thank the women who did have the time/feel a need Wink

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:56 pm
Very funny, PinkFridge!

"I guess I should have gone anon, I do have kids in shidduchim" - LOL!!

Thanks for the post-holiday chuckles. I needed that!

hotmom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:48 pm
When I shop late at nite I wear shaitel, long skirt n crocs. Sometimes snood...
During the day I walk to grocery...bout 25min walk in reg decent walking shoes and decently dressed.
I'm not a fashion icon...and don't intend presenting myself as one.

hotmom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:37 pm
Oops!

anotherima

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:40 am
I have a little "minhag".... if I wear a shaitel during the day the shaitel stays on when my husband comes home from a long day at work. If I dress up why should the male cashiers be the one to see me and not my husband?

mille

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:25 am
If I look 'put together' when I shop, it's because I'm shopping on my way home from work. I have to dress nice at work, so I probably look 'put together'. Tongue Out

When I shop on the weekend, it's jeans and a t-shirt for me!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics