Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why no Kabbalat Shabbat?

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:50 am
I am new in my community and haven't really found a shul that fits me yet.
On Friday night I went to a shul and they basically didn't do any kabbalat shabbat. They sang Yedid Nefesh, Mizmor shir, and a kaddish and that was it. It was too early for maariv so people just sat around and talked until a man came and pounded on the lectern and shouted "arvit!" All in all they were sitting around and chatting for about 15 minutes. My husband couldn't explain it except to say it must be their minhag for chag, but in Israel chag was over. Can someone enlighten me?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:55 am
Maybe there wasn't kabalat Shabbat anyway cause it was Motzei Chag and different shuls might have different minhagim for that. Why don't you go back next week for a normal kabalat Shabbat before you write the shul off

luppamom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:58 am
I am also pretty sure it's a minhag. I am also curious why it was instituted to not say full kabalas Shabbos.

I think Nusach Ashkenaz shuls will just say mizmor shir and Hashem moloch. Nusach Sefard, I think (but never personally davened in a nusach sefard shul on a Fri. night that happened to be motzei YT), will sing Licha Dodi, but not sure if all of Kabalas Shabbos before that.

mille

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:07 am
This past friday night? In general most don't do kabbalat shabbat when the previous day was a yom tov. This is the case even though your shabbat was no longer pesach, it's still going from pesach to shabbat.

I agree that you need to go next week to see a 'normal' friday night.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:10 am
It's b/c it was motzei chag. In our shul we go according to Nusach Sefard - started kabbalat Shabbat w/ Mizmor LeDavid followed by a shortened Lecha Dodi (first few stanzas and last two stanzas) and Mizmor shir etc. I don't know the reason for the custom but Nusach Ashkenaz calls for even less.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:12 am
luppamom wrote:
I am also curious why it was instituted to not say full kabalas Shabbos.
Because people had enough shul by then and cut out anything they can get away with LOL

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:16 am
Very interesting! I am definitely not writing off going there but I was very curious. I knew of shorter kabbalat shabbats for chag but I have never been to one SO short. And during the break I saw a few women do a private Lecha Dodi. I'm relatively newly religious and I still get out of whack if my "routine" at shul is messed up and I can't figure out where I'm supposed to be, especially if my siddur doesn't have an explanation for the change.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:18 am
Sadie wrote:
I am new in my community and haven't really found a shul that fits me yet.
On Friday night I went to a shul and they basically didn't do any kabbalat shabbat. They sang Yedid Nefesh, Mizmor shir, and a kaddish and that was it. It was too early for maariv so people just sat around and talked until a man came and pounded on the lectern and shouted "arvit!" All in all they were sitting around and chatting for about 15 minutes. My husband couldn't explain it except to say it must be their minhag for chag, but in Israel chag was over. Can someone enlighten me?

There is no or minimal kabbalat shabat after chag or during chagim. Different nusachim do different things. Ours only does 2 tehilim that are after lecha dodi.
The reason I think is that you don't go from chol to kodesh but from one level of kodesh to the other level, so there is no full "Kabala"

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:30 am
On Yom Kippur we daven in the faster Break-off minyan. The first year there was a break between Kol Nidrei and Maariv and people just chatted. I thought that was horrible and ruined the mood. The next year Yom Kippur was Friday night and we had (Carlebach) Kabbalat Shabbat in between. I told the Gabai that it was such a great idea to have Kaballat Shabbat in between and he should do that every year LOL . But getting to this topic, our shul is nusach sfard but my machzor is nusach Ashkenaz so I had to run to get a Siddur for the Kabalat Shabbat there cause Nussach Ashkenaz said much less Kabalat Shabbat on Friday night on Kol Nidrei night (something like etky described the differences).

Last edited by Sanguine on Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:33 am
Do people in shul say kabalas shabbos when chag was over on Thursday, so havdala was made? I'm just thinking that maybe because Yom Tov was over friday and there was no havdala, maybe that might have something to do with it? Although I could be totally wrong.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:47 am
Sanguine wrote:
On Yom Kippur we daven in the faster Break-off minyan. The first year there was a break between Kol Nidrei and Maariv and people just chatted. I thought that was horrible and ruined the mood. The next year Yom Kippur was Friday night and we had (Carlebach) Kabbalat Shabbat in between. I told the Gabai that it was such a great idea to have Kaballat Shabbat in between and he should do that every year LOL . But getting to this topic, our shul is nusach sfard but my machzor is nusach Ashkenaz so I had to run to get a Siddur for the Kabalat Shabbat there cause Nussach Ashkenaz said much less Kabalat Shabbat on Friday night on Kol Nidrei night (something like etky described the differences).

LOL, mine is Ashkenaz too but since it's always Karlebach style by us I just sing along with everyone else and don't bother running to get a siddur.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:15 am
luppamom wrote:
I think Nusach Ashkenaz shuls will just say mizmor shir and Hashem moloch.

Yes, that is what the Ashkenaz Siddur Rinat Yisrael siddur says to do when Shabbat follows Yom Tov.

I suppose there's less Kabbalat Shabbat because you had already experienced Yom Tov so you are already in a partially Shabbat-like state.

Although you don't have to stand around talking, someone can give a shiur.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions