Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Personality type or Asperger

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:07 am
I took an online test and my score was high for Asperger.

I am an INTx type on the MBTI.

So I ask, is it personality type or disorder?

The APA has taken Asperger off their list as a diagnosis, so perhaps that is the answer.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:11 am
Do you have a link for the test? I always suspected that I was borderline Aspie.

INFP type.

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:53 am
I took a couple different ones. Here's one of them: http://archive.wired.com/wired......html

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:12 am
http://www.lifeonthespectrum.n.....=1188

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:24 am
I think it is so damaging to call it a disorder, and to lump non verbal severely autistic people and functioning productive members of society in the same bracket. I saw an article recently where a teenage girl who had recently been diagnosed as being on the spectrum committed suicide. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new......html

This girl had her whole life ahead of her. Sad So sad she is missing out because of a stupid label.

This world would be a sad place without the creative and intelligent people who "suffer" from this disorder. I find it so odd that this teenager Elizabeth had a "disorder" - yet no one gives the empty headed teens who are interested only in makeup and s-x and cliques and being nasty labels. They are normal. shock

My son was given this label. He is adorable, loving, helpful, kind and sweet. And he likes reading and maths and facts. I'm not sure I would change him if I could. but maybe he is doing so well because he has been given the right help in school.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:42 am
I agree with Raisin, to some extent. In my mind, a "disorder" is something that prevents you from being happy. If your brain or body works differently than the average person, yet you are happy and fulfilled, then it's highly insulting to call that a "disorder" or "handicap".

I've always steered away from using diagnostic language with DD, and simply tell her that her brain learns differently than other kids. She is not stupid, she just needs teachers who know how to teach to her kind of brain's learning style. There is no right or wrong, just different.

It's like someone trying to force an Apple product to run on a PC. You've got the wrong program for the wrong operating system. Once you know which software to use, then things go much more smoothly.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:48 am
chani8 wrote:
I took a couple different ones. Here's one of them: http://archive.wired.com/wired......html

I scored 34 on this one.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:04 am
chani8 wrote:
http://www.lifeonthespectrum.net/blog/?page_id=1188

[img]

This is fascinating! Some of the questions seemed really random, and yet were spot on.

imaima

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I scored 34 on this one.

I had 17

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:14 am
Ok, I'll admit it. I got a 39.

And neurodiverse on the second test.

I am an INTJ on the MBTI.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:47 am
This test puts me solidly into the ASD spectrum. http://www.aspietests.org/raads/index.php

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 6:49 am
Why not look into it with a professional? What you have to gain is increased self knowledge, and possibly some new ways of thinking about or doing things. Any label will be yours and (your doctors/therapists, who are bound by confidentiality) alone to share or not.

Raisin, the story you report about "death by labelling" strikes me as not being about a label. Rather, it seems to me to be about some ham handed people who didn't handle a sensitive situation properly. And very possibly, a teen subject to anxiety, rigidity, and black and white thinking (classic problems for someone with Aspergers), who could have been helped with those very issues if she had received earlier treatment and education. Or if the treatment had preceded the label (which is what I did with my DD on the spectrum).

Aspergers often looks different in girls and women than in boys. It's worth reading more about and thinking about. And having a knowledgeable expert to talk about it with you.

Because, for anyone in the world, finding out about the factors which have bound you, and figuring ways to loosen those bonds, makes for a richer and happier life.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 6:55 am
imasinger wrote:
Why not look into it with a professional? What you have to gain is increased self knowledge, and possibly some new ways of thinking about or doing things. Any label will be yours and (your doctors/therapists, who are bound by confidentiality) alone to share or not.

Raisin, the story you report about "death by labelling" strikes me as not being about a label. Rather, it seems to me to be about some ham handed people who didn't handle a sensitive situation properly. And very possibly, a teen subject to anxiety, rigidity, and black and white thinking (classic problems for someone with Aspergers), which could have been helped with earlier treatment and education.

Aspergers often looks different in girls and women than in boys. It's worth reading more about and thinking about. And having a knowledgeable expert to talk about it with you.

Because, for anyone in the world, finding out about the factors which have bound you, and figuring ways to loosen those bonds, makes for a richer and happier life.

I agree that early intervention is key, and I've seen that with my son. My issue is the current tend of giving the identical label to relatively well functioning child (in some ways high functioning) and to a person with extreme autism who cannot function without one on one care. Aspergers sounds a lot less scary then autism.

its like calling a person with glasses blind.

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:23 am
I hear you. As spectrums go, this is a huge one, with complete inability to function on one end, and very high functioning on the other.

I hope that as education continues, the general public will stop making assumptions. If someone says, "I have poor vision", we no longer assume that they are blind.

While there are certain characteristics in common, anyone who has worked with the ASD population is very aware of the many, many individual differences.

As the saying goes, "If you've encountered one person with ASD, you've encountered.... one person with ASD."

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:13 am
My point was that you may call it ASD, but it may very well just be a personality type. And ASD is no longer a recognized disorder according to the DSM5.

etky

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:59 am
chani8 wrote:
My point was that you may call it ASD, but it may very well just be a personality type. And ASD is no longer a recognized disorder according to the DSM5.

True, but it's not that it is no longer considered a disorder. People who used to be labelled Aspergers are now just considered as having autism - albeit on the highest end of the spectrum - even the most highly functional individuals. It's not like they are suddenly considered within the 'normal' range.
I totally agree with Raisin's POV on this. It's true that in the same way that orthopedic problems can cover a gamut of issues from the slightest limp to lo aleinu complete paralysis, ASD covers functioning individuals to those who can barely venture alone outside of an institution. It's just that there's an indelible stigma to the ASD label that the Asperger's catergory somewhat mitigated. Now they've done away with that. Not that I was in love with the Asperger's label either BTW.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 9:05 am
I scored a 33 on the first test, but came out almost completely neurotypical on the second one.

I agree with Raisin and etky - just because the Asperger's label was removed, doesn't mean that people with those symptoms are suddenly neurotypical, and that it should be recognized as a personality type rather than a disorder.

syrima

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:46 am
as a sibling of someone with Asperger's, I think that it depends.
I have definitely missed out on an emotional connection that would be there if my sibling was able to empathize or read facial expressions better. It's infuriating being mad at someone and not having them notice unless you actually tell them 'I am mad at you."
I don't think any amount of talent or braininess makes up for that.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:19 pm
chani8 wrote:
http://www.lifeonthespectrum.net/blog/?page_id=1188

I couldn't answer any of the questions because my answer to all of them is "it depends". Same went for an online INTI test I found. But I'm the person who when friends do a test from a magazine invents a new choice for each question.

Is there a "noncompliant with standardized tests" disorder?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics