Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Biomagnetic therapy

bklyngirl

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:39 pm
has anyone every heard of biomagnetic therapy?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 2:11 am
I had a veterinarian who swore by them. He's very not into new age stuff, but a company sent him a dog bed full of magnets.

He tried it for his old, arthritic dog, and within a few days the dog was up and around, acting 10 years younger. Intrigued, he took the bed away, and the dog quickly became stiff and tired all the time. When he put the bed back, the improvements came right back.

I consider this a good test, because animals cannot be subjected to the placebo effect. They have no way of knowing what's in their bed, or "believing in it".

Never tried it for myself, but I thought it was very interesting.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 2:18 am
I was in the mall and I saw someone selling these bracelets by a kiosk. He didn't tell me what it does but the merchant had me wear the bracelet. He then had me stand on one leg with my arms out. He pushed down one of my arms really hard and I stayed standing upright.

I was a little weirded out. I would first research it before buying to see if there are any risks.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I had a veterinarian who swore by them. He's very not into new age stuff, but a company sent him a dog bed full of magnets.

He tried it for his old, arthritic dog, and within a few days the dog was up and around, acting 10 years younger. Intrigued, he took the bed away, and the dog quickly became stiff and tired all the time. When he put the bed back, the improvements came right back.

I consider this a good test, because animals cannot be subjected to the placebo effect. They have no way of knowing what's in their bed, or "believing in it".

Never tried it for myself, but I thought it was very interesting.

To make this a good test it would need

1) more dogs, randomly assigned to the magnetic beds or the control group
2) the control group doesn't do nothing, it gets beds that are identical to the beds with the magnets, only the magnets have been removed (if doing that would change the shape, they've been replaced with non-magnetic metal)
3) the person evaluating the animals does not know which bed they've used (because even if placebos do not work on dogs, they can work on the human's perception of whether there was an improvement or not)

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 5:29 pm
Frankly I think it is a lot of pseudoscientific hogwash, about as effective as copper bracelets to cure arthritis.

Heyaaa, I was in karate class. The teacher had me stand on one leg, with the other knee bent at a 90-degree angle, pushed down really hard on the bent knee, and I remained upright. No magnets or bracelets or hocus-pocus. What does this prove? Only that my instincts were right. When the instructor pushed down, I felt as if I would fall and pushed back to counteract the force and thus keep my balance.The woman standing next to me didn't know that she was supposed to resist (I didn't either, just didn't want to fall) and so she lost her balance. Big deal.

But hey, if you are made of money and your rheumatologist needs a new Mercedes...go for it.

Shmaichel

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:01 pm
I did it a few times and it was amazing. It really works... I used it for the emotional aspect of it/ based on the emotion code.

The woman used magnets to find trapped emotions (childhood and nowadays...whatever came up) and then used other magnets to remove them. It was amazing and after a few times I was able to stop until I'd ever need it in the future.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 6:25 am
Shmaichel wrote:
I did it a few times and it was amazing. It really works... I used it for the emotional aspect of it/ based on the emotion code.

The woman used magnets to find trapped emotions (childhood and nowadays...whatever came up) and then used other magnets to remove them. It was amazing and after a few times I was able to stop until I'd ever need it in the future.

When I use a magnet to look for magnetic objects mixed in with others, I can tell if I've found any or not, they are the ones stuck to the magnet. How can someone tell if a magnet has found an emotion? Does the patient experience the emotion when the magnet is near her?

Shmaichel

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:14 pm
imasoftov wrote:
When I use a magnet to look for magnetic objects mixed in with others, I can tell if I've found any or not, they are the ones stuck to the magnet. How can someone tell if a magnet has found an emotion? Does the patient experience the emotion when the magnet is near her?

No, I didn't feel any emotions when she did it. But based on where she found a "blockage" in the natural flow, she was able to figure out from her chart which emotion it corresponded to. If you read the book "the emotion code" he explains it in detail.

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:59 pm
Shmaichel wrote:

This is a beautiful demonstration of the placebo effect. Truly do not mean to make fun of you, but how much did you pay for this "therapy"?

Shmaichel

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:32 pm
debsey wrote:
This is a beautiful demonstration of the placebo effect. Truly do not mean to make fun of you, but how much did you pay for this "therapy"?

I really don't appreciate your snydiness. I actually used this in addition and simultaneously to the regular mode of 'therapy' and it just clarified things for me while working hard on myself.
And I did not appreciate you dismissing it when you obviously don't know much about it.

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:14 am
I don't understand how a magnet works in this scenario. There is no metal involved. Please explain.

eta - apparently it uses two magnets

Last edited by chani8 on Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:20 am
biomagnetic therapy explained: http://www.faim.org/newfrontie......html

a critical review: http://www.quackwatch.com/04Co......html

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:24 am
imasoftov wrote:
To make this a good test it would need

1) more dogs, randomly assigned to the magnetic beds or the control group
2) the control group doesn't do nothing, it gets beds that are identical to the beds with the magnets, only the magnets have been removed (if doing that would change the shape, they've been replaced with non-magnetic metal)
3) the person evaluating the animals does not know which bed they've used (because even if placebos do not work on dogs, they can work on the human's perception of whether there was an improvement or not)

Totally agreed. I didn't mean my anecdote to be a "scientific proof", I just thought it was interesting because the vet was completely skeptical of the whole thing.

I'd love to see more animal studies done with alternative medicines and therapies, specifically to rule out the placebo effect.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:32 am
chani8 wrote:
biomagnetic therapy explained: http://www.faim.org/newfrontie......html

a critical review: http://www.quackwatch.com/04Co......html

I was going to design an experiment, but then I got to "cancer in its malignant form is caused by the infection with the leprosy bacteria"

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:43 pm
Shmaichel wrote:
I really don't appreciate your snydiness. I actually used this in addition and simultaneously to the regular mode of 'therapy' and it just clarified things for me while working hard on myself.
And I did not appreciate you dismissing it when you obviously don't know much about it.

I am not trying to be snide. I have a background in research and statistics - and I googled biomagnetic therapy,and then looked on a professional biomedical ethics website before replying. There is not ONE credible scientific journal article that supports this. Why do you suppose that is? I'm happy you feel that you were helped, I just hope you didn't pay too much money for something that is (at best, and at a big stretch) unproven.

abemom2

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:40 pm
It got rid of my 15+ warts, after several years of different treatments - including the ones recommended by foot doctor.

It wasn't the lying on the bed - but she tested similar to kniseology testing, and then placed the magnets at the points that came up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics