Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Anyone else in a horrible mood by the end of Pesach?

outtatownmom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:48 pm
I made Pesach at home this year, per usual. It's like a marathon for me, and I start out pacing myself and feel pretty strong. I'm tired from the cleaning and cooking by the first seder and it only goes downhill from there. By the last days of yom tov, I've just had it! I don't want to cook another thing (and this is with the cooking and freezing I did before the first days), I don't want anymore company (even people I normally enjoy), and I just want my quiet empty house back again. When did I turn into a caterer - responsible for cooking, plating, serving, clearing, clean up?

Pesach has been over since Saturday night, but I still haven't recovered.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:13 pm
Delegate. If they live in your house and are moderately able-boded, they should be pitching in with all that. If guests offer to help, don't do the "no, no, sit and relax" routine. Accept their help.
Bite off only what you can chew. If your comfort zone is one guest, invite one guest and no more. If you can handle guests for one meal a day, there is no law stating you must have guests for both meals every day.
Simplify. You really are not obligated to serve two mains, four sides, three salads and three desserts.
And when serving a crowd, it is not against the law to use disposables. Just don't overdo it and use them all the time.

outtatownmom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:17 pm
My kids do help, and the guests sometimes help to bring in and clear dishes. I only used disposables for the yom tov meals, but there are still platters and serving utensils to clean. My husband loves having company and we often do meal swaps, which helps with the amount of meals we have to cook, but when we do cook, it's for a big crowd. It still is totally exhausting and stressful.

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:27 pm
I hear you.

Does your husband help with the washing?

Next year, I'm planning on hiring help for dishwashing.

I think the key is to pinpoint which aspect(s) were too much, and try to eliminate that/those part(s).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics