Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
PSA: "Childproof" doesn't mean childproof

mandr

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 9:13 pm
I had the scare of my life on Yom Tov and I want to share it with you so that you can hopefully avoid what just happened. My baby and I woke up on Shabbos morning and he continued to play in his pack n play while I stayed half asleep. We were guests and were sleeping in a different arrangement. Here, my baby had access to lots of places from his pack n play since it was a small, cluttered room. Somehow he was able to reach my ziploc of medicines...

In between dreams I woke up long enough to check on my baby and I see him holding an opened, empty bottle of children's Advil! I grab the bottle and sure enough, it was completely empty. Not a drop remained in the bottle. I smell his mouth and it was fruity, like the berry flavor of the Advil. There is some Advil on the sheet, his blanket, pajamas, etc. I freaked out.

I called poison control and after asking me lots of questions, the agent determined that my baby is probably ok. He said as long as my baby doesn't vomit more than one time, he is ok and there was no need to go to the ER. He also told me I have to make sure my baby gets some milk (or nurses). Luckily my baby had just nursed so he had milk inside him, and then I held his mouth open while I force-fed him some regular milk just to be safe.

Baruch Hashem he didn't vomit at all and appeared to be ok. With trepidation I mentally calculated, "half hour passed... 45 minutes... an hour..." and B"H he was really ok. It could very well be that my baby hadn't even eaten more than a lick when he flipped open the "childproof" cap. Lots of it was spilled. But one never knows in such a situation.

My point is that childproof is merely a term given to describe "hard to open for adults." Babies (like mine) who have amazing biting skills can maneuver anything with their teeth. Nothing is childproof for them. Never keep your medications and other hazardous items (cleaning products, healthy and beauty aids, detergents, etc.) within possible reach of your baby. Don't underestimate your baby either!

We were lucky BH that it wasn't Tylenol. That would have been way more dangerous as acetaminophen's effect on the liver can be disastrous when overdosing like that. Luckily, Advil is mainly problematic when taking too much over a longer amount of time.

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 9:43 pm
So sorry you had such a scare, and thank G-d it worked out ok. Thanks for the PSA on the childproof caps.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 9:51 pm
When I was a toddler, I drank 3/4 of a bottle of Triaminic syrup. My mom called poison control, and they told her to just keep an eye on me, and that I'd likely be pretty groggy for the next few days.

Another PSA: Don't let your baby or toddler watch you install childproof latches. They are smart little monkeys, and will immediately figure out how they work and what you need to do to get the latch open.

My mom made that mistake with my brother, and I made the same mistake with DD. The latches didn't last 12 hours before they were all figured out. Cabinets, doors, refrigerators, NOTHING was safe! Tons of money wasted. Confused

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 9:51 pm
Thanks for sharing. How scary! Glad your kiddo is OK.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:50 am
I've been having this argument with dh for weeks. He is not careful about putting medicines away (locked cabinet, high shelf) because, hey, that's what the childproof cap is for. I keep telling him, the cap is NOT childproof, it is just child resistant. It buys you some time in the event a child does get ahold of it, but it is NOT a replacement for good old fashioned keeping it far away from them to begin with. Definitely going to show him this....

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 6:06 am
Thanks for the important info and glad your baby is ok!!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 6:14 am
So glad your baby is OK! Thanks for the PSA.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:46 am
When something similar happened to me, my doctor told me that up to ten times the dose of Tylenol is still fine. Past that call poison control. If you look at the containers of Tylenol, they usually don't contain so many doses. Unless it's an extra large bottle, I wouldn't be too concerned in the future.
I didn't speak to my doctor about Advil, but if your saying its not as bad as Tylenol...
That said, medicines are kept far away from the kids in my home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics