Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Which appliance do you use for making cakes?
Previous  1  2

Which appliance do you use for making cakes?
Bosch  
 26%  [ 4 ]
Kitchen Aid  
 66%  [ 10 ]
Magic Mill  
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

alwaybhappy

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 12:44 pm
I only use a bowl and wooden spoon. (I dont make anything with a snow, but do have a hand mixer for that)
for challah I kneed by hand in a huge bowl

growing up I only used a bosch for everything

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 1:08 pm
etky wrote:
If you have the mixer why not use it? It does a better job of aerating even thin mixtures like eggs and sugar than hand beating - not even talking about creaming for which it is essential as Amarante said.

Most baked goods do rely on good aeration for the best result even if they don't have a "creaming" step or require egg whites to be beaten in for the "rise".

There are a few types of baked goods which you don't want to over mix because you don't want to develop the gluten and get a tough crumb - (like muffins) but most baked goods really benefit from being beaten for a long period of time.

I almost never make a cake with folded in beaten eggs whites but many of my cake recipes call for mixing for 5 minutes and the consistency of the batter really changes during that period.

I keep my KA on the counter tucked away so it's not a big deal to take out.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:43 pm
I don't use any electric appliances for cakes, cookies or muffins. Firstly I must say I don't do any cake recipes (including pesach) that requires separating eggs and beating egg whites. Secondly, for cakes and muffins I don't use margarines or butters but oil so no need for creaming. For cookies/pastries, just soften butter/margarine and mix manually, no need to aerate. I actually only own hand held, stick-type blender with whipping attachment (which I only use for whipping cream so not usable for parve recipe). So just plain mixing bowls and spoons, a bit of elbow grease.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins