Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is Etsy a reliable site?

mominwb

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:52 pm
I see something beautiful and cheap on the site? What are my chances of being disappointed?

yogabird

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:54 pm
Recently, they've started selling a lot of Chinese junk trying to pass for handmade art. If that's what you're looking at, chances are you'll be disappointed.

If it's a genuine handmade item, you'll likely get great customer service if anything goes wrong, because IME, sellers work hard to maintain their ratings and gain customers.

mominwb

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:59 pm
Thanks for the quick response, I think I'll take the gamble, it's all of 20 bucks were talking about, but I really like it. Worse case I'll flush $20 down.

little_mage

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 11:18 pm
I've ordered several things from etsy-I've gotten burned once, when the seller decided to cancel my order, but I did get a full refund. The thing is, that you can't really ask if etsy as a site is reliable, because it's all different people. Each shop has a different person running it. What I do, before I buy is I look at the reviews that previous customers have left. I also look at where it's shipping from-I admit that I do tend to be wary of things shipping from China or the South Pacific. I don't automatically shy away from international shipping, though; I got a beautiful Shabbat oil lamp from Israel, that I use every week. I also pay attention to what the shop looks like-does the owner have an avatar of some sort, for example? In that case, what I'm looking for is evidence that the shop owner put time into preparing and making things presentable.

The other thing is that if you're really worried, use paypal to pay, because that gives you at least a little more protection in case of a dispute. The shop should also have shop policies that lay out returns and shipping.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 11:40 pm
Think of Etsy as a shopping mall. It's just a building. It's only as good or bad as the individual people you buy from.

When in doubt, send a convo to the seller FIRST, and see if/how they respond to you. Mass marketed junk sellers will usually not respond to your inquiries. Be aware of what country the seller ships from, and how long the estimated shipping time will be.

Hand crafters LOVE to talk about what they do, and the process that goes into it. They take extreme pride in their work, they have generous return policies, and they prize their feedback scores.

I've made some really lovely friends on Etsy over the years!

spring13

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 12:12 am
I've done really well, but it does depend on what you're buying and how much you know about it (both what to expect and what the seller tells you). A decent seller will respond to questions quickly.

Kitten

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 12:52 am
Etsy is a bit like Ebay and has many sellers from different countries. Not everything is handmade.
I have a limited but very good shopping experience with this website. The very few things I got were handmade in the States by nice people who were happy to customize items for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics