Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
This happened months ago but wondering what you would do

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 11:04 pm
Back in December, my 3.5 yr old developed a fever one morning. I waited till evening then took to dr. She had a flu test and strep test and both were negative.
Next day still fever so I gave tylenol but on tylenol fever spiked to 105 and I got scared so ran back to dr. Another flu test and strep test also negative so told viral. Dr. said if fever continues would do blood in a few days but it's still early to do so however it was a holiday that week and dr said office would be closed one day. My gut was saying to me ask dr. to do the blood now while in office but I just said ok and left. Fast forward and the fever was still high 2 days later but office was closed. I paged and dr. said it's 4 days of a fever that is very high so go to the ER.
Now, I was at the time 5 months pregnant and didn't want to go to the ER with all the diseases around and although fever was high we were managing her and she wasnt dehydrating and she was alert etc. No other symptoms...and it was a holiday and I have other young kids who were home and DH and I had no babysitter so it was just not a day I wanted to sit hours in the ER and the entire reason Doc said go was bc of wanting to do blood work.
Next day went back to dr. He was very mad I didnt go to the ER.
He did another flu swab and strep and checked for uti and all negative. Blood showed a viral infection. He sent us to ER.
I wore gloves and a mask and we went. Was there most of the day of course. Chest x ray done. More flu and other swabs.
At discharge they told us she had the flu. And her temp could be high a few more days and not to be alarmed.
Next day a diff child woke with a fever so I went to a diff pediatrician in the area. They did a flu swab and it was positive for the same strain of flu my other one had.
How did dd have 3 flu tests and all were negative by the dr? And in the same day positive in the hospital?
Also, would you have run to the ER if your child had a temp for 4 days in a row? Was I wrong?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 12:27 am
amother wrote:
Back in December, my 3.5 yr old developed a fever one morning. I waited till evening then took to dr. She had a flu test and strep test and both were negative.
Next day still fever so I gave tylenol but on tylenol fever spiked to 105 and I got scared so ran back to dr. Another flu test and strep test also negative so told viral. Dr. said if fever continues would do blood in a few days but it's still early to do so however it was a holiday that week and dr said office would be closed one day. My gut was saying to me ask dr. to do the blood now while in office but I just said ok and left. Fast forward and the fever was still high 2 days later but office was closed. I paged and dr. said it's 4 days of a fever that is very high so go to the ER.
Now, I was at the time 5 months pregnant and didn't want to go to the ER with all the diseases around and although fever was high we were managing her and she wasnt dehydrating and she was alert etc. No other symptoms...and it was a holiday and I have other young kids who were home and DH and I had no babysitter so it was just not a day I wanted to sit hours in the ER and the entire reason Doc said go was bc of wanting to do blood work.
Next day went back to dr. He was very mad I didnt go to the ER.
He did another flu swab and strep and checked for uti and all negative. Blood showed a viral infection. He sent us to ER.
I wore gloves and a mask and we went. Was there most of the day of course. Chest x ray done. More flu and other swabs.
At discharge they told us she had the flu. And her temp could be high a few more days and not to be alarmed.
Next day a diff child woke with a fever so I went to a diff pediatrician in the area. They did a flu swab and it was positive for the same strain of flu my other one had.
How did dd have 3 flu tests and all were negative by the dr? And in the same day positive in the hospital?
Also, would you have run to the ER if your child had a temp for 4 days in a row? Was I wrong?

Obviously this has been bothering you for months, so what are you really asking?

Why the tests didn't show flu? Because they were false negatives, or lousy tests, or the person who took them did something wrong.

The larger question about running your child to the ER... High temp for four days over a holiday, the doctor told you to go to the ER and you didn't. And clearly the doctor made you feel bad. You had other kids at home that DH could watch if you wanted to take dc, or vice versa. Nobody wants to sit in an ER all day, but it's something you should have done.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 1:13 am
I agree, you should have gone to the ER.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 1:26 am
For future reference, check if there is an urgent care place you can use instead of ER. And also if blood work is being considered and you know a long holiday is coming up, yes I would definitely speak up and ask dr to do it before the holiday. But yes, once you're already at the point of doctor telling you to go to ER, you go. I'm a little unclear - you said "dh and I had no babysitter" couldn't one of you go to the ER and the other stay with the kids?

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 1:56 am
Your dh should have taken her to ER.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 2:14 am
My rule is, any fever of 103 or higher, for more than 48 hours, goes straight to the emergency room. It's scary how fast things can go wrong with little ones. With a child over 5 I wouldn't be quite as worried, but still… better to be a little over protective in this case.

If you were afraid to be in the hospital with your pregnancy, then I would have send DH with the sick child. Even if you felt he was not capable of handling all the kids at home on his own, he could have handled one child at ER, couldn't he?

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 3:52 am
The issue to me is going to the ER when it may cost hundreds of shekels because insurance doesn't cover it. The better way is to go to an urgent care center, as Seeker suggested. If they determine the hospital is necessary, then insurance will cover it.

ETA- obviously go to the ER if you think it's an emergency life threatening thing.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:22 am
Im bothered by your question Should I have gone to the ER. As a mother of BH many kids I have sat in the ER more times than I can remember. Including when I was due anyday, and I was begging my Dr not to send me,bec I didnt think that my child was so sick (kid was wheezing).

I also have gone to the ER on yom tov and friday nights due to allergies. My policy is always Better be safe than sorry.What if it wasnt the flu? What if something would of happened? What if child had anaphylaxic shock? When it comes to the health of a person or child you should never think twice of getting medical help. There can be no turning back if things go wrong.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:31 am
OP here
Well, my child wasnt wheezing B"H. She was running a temp with no other symptoms. My SIL who is a pediatric ER resident was over the day I was told by doc to go to hospital and she said my DD didn't look that sick to warrant the trip but the question was what was causing the temp. She told me after 5 days of a high temp is when they like to run tests and we were on day 4.
And also, all my kids are prone to high temps so it is not something I find terribly alarming bc it happens frequently when they are sick. I was more alarmed to the cause but wanted to find an alternative to the ER or wait till the next day so my doctor could do the bloods.
As far as DH taking her or me taking her - she is a difficult child and we were both needed. DH had to do the x ray with her bc I couldnt be in the room but I needed to be there for her support otherwise. We both took her the next day when doc still sent us even after running the blood in his office and seeing it was indeed viral.
I should have gone to urgent care - if they do blood work? There are a few local ones.

21young

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:16 am
OP, I think the bigger issue here is your lack of trust in the Dr. You should have a good relationship with your pediatrician where you can speak up and discuss what's on your mind with him, but also listen to his advice. The fact that you took your next child to a different Dr. shows an underlying trust issue, and this is something you have to resolve.

Personally, I would have spoken up and asked for the blood work before the holidays, and if they sent me to the ER I would go. Better safe than sorry. I've been to the ER at very inopportune times, on my own with a difficult child, but safety comes before convenience, and I would be so happy that the hospital told me it was simply the flu.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:24 am
Op here
I was happy it was the flu. I guess I just felt like that could have been diagnosed at the dr not the er. 3 trips and flu was rampant in winter. One trip to a diff dr yielded same diagnosis 3 trips and an er trip took.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:28 am
So you still have guilt after a few months. I think most parents would have gone to the ER. You must know that which is why you feel guilty.

I myself have a very difficult child and when he was younger I used to try and get my husband's help for various things. He seemed to be more easygoing for him. But if my other kids were home and need a sitter, I would have then just watched them and sent my husband.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 2:08 pm
Give your husband's more credit. A high fever generally makes one lethargic, thus easier to deal with. I'm assuming your DH is a responsible adult with good reasoning skills. He could be trusted with your child, give him the chance. And say some tehillim.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 5:18 pm
I think you did the best you could in a difficult circumstance.

I suspect you are hurt that the doctor yelled at you when it was the doc's tests that turned up negative in the first place.

These things happen, and it's not sensible to try and point fingers.

It might have been hepful to ask the doctor why he reacted so strongly, so you can better understand the dangers he was concerned about.

Then, find out about what urgent care clinics around you can provide, so you will know for the future. If your kids tend to run high temps, you might need the info.

And then, let it all go.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 5:29 pm
I'm wondering you were hoping the doctor would say when you called on his day off if you weren't willing to go to er. I Also Think You're overly melodramatic about germs in the er. I worked there through entire pregnancy didn't get flu shot and was finw. Unless you're seriously immunocompromised that was waaaaaay overkill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics