Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
"The Rabbi's Cat" - weird Jewish-themed French cartoon

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:19 pm
Has anyone seen it? It's this weird, feature-length animated film for adults. (Definitely not for kids). It takes place in 1920's Algeria when it was a French colony and features a community rabbi, his daughter, his Muslim friend, his cat, and a Jewish refugee from Communist Russia.

I saw it yesterday and was left with a very strange impression. It's on Netflix, in French with English subtitles.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:34 pm
Was it based on a graphic novel? I have a vague memory of reading something like that several years ago.

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:37 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Was it based on a graphic novel? I have a vague memory of reading something like that several years ago.

Yes, it's based on a graphic novel.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:50 pm
I remember enjoying it, but not much about it. I'll have to check the local library to see if they have it!

Bruria

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:49 am
I saw this movie, I enjoyed it as well!

greenhelm

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:13 am
I've read the graphic novel and enjoyed it - never heard of the movie, though. I'll have to look that one up!
The same writer also wrote another graphic novel called Klezmer, but as far as I know, only the first book was translated to English.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:24 am
Yup, the original BD (comic novel) has been there for 10+yrs. It's a trilogy (or maybe more) and Le Chat du Rabbin is the first of the series if I recall. I haven't seen the film so I'm not sure if it covers all subsequent novels. It is probably not the widest audience appeal, but it is almost bitter-sweet, very poignant especially those who are familiar with Maghrebi Jewish experience both in home countries and after their immigration to France. Talks are witty (LOVED the part about the cat insisting the Rabbi makes it a Jew), provocative, this is not a simple animated story. Story lines twist a lot in latter series, gets a bit more kabbalistic. Also there're lots of philosophical questions and dialogues, but this is not a religious story. The author did another comic novel whose name I can't remember about an ancient Jewish boy at the turn of BCE/CE.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:31 am
Saw the BD. Couldn't get into it at all...

Kitten

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:07 pm
I read the graphic novel and enjoyed it. Is the movie different from the original story?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics