Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice
1  2  Next

e1234

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:46 am
how do you make rice?

looking for ideas to make it yummier

(as of now I just season with salt ,pepper, garlic powder)

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:05 am
IN the pot you'll cook the rice in, sautee a generous amount of onions, garlic, if you want also diced up peppers of any color or whatever you want. THEN add the rice and water and cook it all together. Adds a lot of flavor, and more veggies in your diet too.

Alternatively, serve it together with things that will flavor it - chicken or something that has a sauce, ground beef (think taco), stir fry.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:11 am
Find some fenugreek and put a few good shakes of that in. I find it goes well. It's an interesting grassy flavor. Rice is a grass seed so it's nice.

Onion powder will go with your garlic powder.

Turmeric will give it a yellow color, just a little.

Cumin is a little wild.

Chili powder will be interesting.

Maybe cardamom.

I like my rice bland because my other foods are not, but it does need something in it not to taste like wood chips.

A little Osem soup powder is fine too.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:53 am
I like my rice with frozen spinach, sauteed, mixed in

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:55 am
Yum!

etky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:58 am
You're the poster whose DH wanted more Sephardi and/or spicy foods, right?
Well, there are a number of simple ways to make rice more interesting and flavorful.
As Seeker said, throw garlic, onions, peppers into the pot before the rice. Mushrooms, celery, carrot cubes are also good.
Experiment with the seasoning. Dolly's suggestions are good. We also like a seasoning called Baharat which incorporates: cloves, cinammon, allspice, black pepper and cardomom. You can go with Indian spices too like curry powder and mix in some chopped fresh cilantro when the rice is cooked.
For something really simple but different you can make 'yellow rice' - sautee an onion and garlic in olive oil, add the rice for a few minutes along with a small handful of pine nuts and then the seasonings: salt, a bit of turmeric, some cumin and a pinch of allspice. Add boiling water (I use a ratio of 1.5 c. water to one c. rice), cover and simmer for 20 min.
You can also mix cooked white rice with a can of drained kidney beans and a bit of chile powder for a Mexican style dish.
If you mix in cooked green/brown lentils with the rice and add fried onion and a bit of cumin you get Majadara.
Other ideas for rice-veggie combos are: rice with cabbage (sautee cabbage and onion and then add rice and water), spinach rice (squeeze a lemon over the rice and spinach after it is cooked), carrot rice (sautee rice with lots of grated carrot before adding water).
A final suggestion - change thing up by using different types of rice for different textures. Our default rice is Orez Parsi but we also love the slightly sticky round rice and basmati for a really fluffy texture. If your DH doesn't mind, you can try brown rice. I also love red rice which I like to combine with cooked white rice and onions and mushrooms. Around Thanksgiving time I also add chesnuts to this mixture.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:00 am
I think its in one of Susie fishbain's first books. Really yum

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:42 am
I always use brown rice.

ms5771

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:24 am
I just put a drop of oil and salt.

However, when I used to have more time, I would add in other random spices. I also sometimes used to fry onions and peppers and then add the rice and boil.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:25 am
Can u please post suzys receipe for rice if you have it? I misplaced that book!

mille

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:11 am
I use stock instead of water whenever I make rice.

I also do a text-mex tomato rice that is basically a little less stock than normal, a can of diced tomatoes, a lot of cumin/chili powder/some cayenne pepper, and a little salt/pepper.

If you use stock instead of water, it's just a great base to mix really anything in. My husband is a fan of sauteed mushrooms and onions mixed into rice.

There's a great brown rice salad in the kosher by design teens book, it's with black beans, mango, and red onion. It's really fantastic!

Rice is so basic and plain the possibilities are endless!

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:15 am
As Etky said, sauté the rice first.

Rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking. Heat the oil. Then add the rice and seasonings and sauté together before adding water. This adds so much flavor. You can play with different seasonings when you sauté. There were many good suggestions posted.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:35 am
Mrs Bissli (a.k.a self-proclaimed rice maven)'s golden rule in cooking rice: WASH OFF EXCESS STARCH AND SOAK RICE FIRST. This prevents a common problem of soggy outside, hard inside rice.

Rule #2 is: cook over high heat till water starts to boil, lower the heat to minimum and cook covered, once finished cooking, turn off heat and let steam COVERED for 15min.

Ratio of water to rice really depends on your pot. You'll need to see how much steam is lost/retained. I use about 1.5x water to 1x rice. Use less if you're using waterly vegetables like fresh mushrooms.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:58 am
Here are some variations.
* Saffron rice: add a pinch of saffron while rice is soaking. Sautee finely chopped onions till transparent before adding rice and water.

* If you want traditional Sephardi rice with crunchy golden bottom, shmear 1-2tbsp oil on the bottom of foil/metal pan. Leave on a plata Shabbat morning and you’ll get nice golden crust at the bottom (which you’ll invert and serve on top) for lunch.

* Rice with vermicelli: Brown broken vermicelli pieces (make sure you don’t burn). I usually make batches and save them pre-browned in a jar. Add about 1tbsp to 1cup of rice once rice is almost cooked (about 5min or so after you lower the flame) and add a few tbsp. water. Continue to cook as usual, mix before serving to distribute brown noodles.

* Persian green rice: once the rice is cooked and while it’s steaming, add freshly chopped dill and either petit pois or broad beans (preferably skinned0. For this I do not add sautéed onions.

* Rice for curry: Use basmati rice (basmati requires less soaking time, otherwise long grains tend to break). Cook with 2-3 whole cardamom pods that are whacked and 1 cinnamon stick. For this I do not add sautéed onions.

* Chinese ginger rice: Peel and finely julienne fresh ginger roots, about the size of thumb joint for 2-3cups of uncooked rice. Add to rice/water. It is not sharp once cooked. Goes extra nice if you use chicken stock to cook.

* You can freeze leftover rice in ziplock bags. Cold/frozen leftover rice makes great fried rice. Make soft scrambled eggs, set aside and break up into pieces. Fry chopped carrots with toasted sesame oil (or mix of sesame oil and vegetable oil). Add chopped salad onions, either real pre-cooked sausages or vegetarian sausages (cut into small pieces) and rice and heat/cook. Season with salt & pepper, mix in broken up eggs before serving.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:10 am
Ty

imasoftov

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:55 am
season with rice vinegar, salt and sugar, spread on seaweed, fill, roll up.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:41 am
Brown rice comes with its coat on and doesn't stick to itself therefore. Some of the difficulties of rice are because it is naked because its brown coat came off. The brown rice has fiber.

Yes, rinse rice in mesh strainer, it's from nature and not clean.

An electric rice cooker is a fine thing, you don't have to think; it has a heat sensor and does it right every time.

Two waters to one rice. By volume.

Imasoft, that sounds like a great idea.

Mrs Bissli, wow. Yum.

STMommy

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:54 pm
shouldn't everyone be rinsing their rice before cooking to try and get off the arsenic?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:00 pm
When young, I didn't know you had to rinse rice (that was brown rice). Dumb. But I am still here.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 3:52 pm
seeker wrote:
IN the pot you'll cook the rice in, sautee a generous amount of onions, garlic, if you want also diced up peppers of any color or whatever you want. THEN add the rice and water and cook it all together. Adds a lot of flavor, and more veggies in your diet too.

Alternatively, serve it together with things that will flavor it - chicken or something that has a sauce, ground beef (think taco), stir fry.

seeker, will the peppers be mushy?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes