Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Seeking advice. Discussion with boss

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:48 pm
For many years I've been working in the field of education. Due to many factors, I recently switched my specialty in education to another area and was hired at the beginning of this school year. I am so much happier in this field, and feel I can contribute much more of my creativity. However, there were some unideal circumstances before I was hired which impacted my job responsibilities. Without going into too much detail so that I don't give away too much identifying information, I was hired last minute due to a degree that I have in the field but an unlicensed individual had already been hired before me to fill some of my responsibilities. Therefore, I was not able to contribute what would normally be expected of someone with my job title. This is what my employer and I had agreed upon at the time of hiring. However, halfway through the year, they suddenly took away more of my responsibilities, but explained to me why it needed to be done, due to external factors, but had nothing to do with my performance (or lack thereof). I understood why they needed to do it, but wasn't happy about it. I felt that this was not the job I signed up for. However, I was looking forward to next school year, when hopefully I would get the usual responsibility expected of someone in my job position.

I recently approached my boss to discuss next year. Yet, I was really hurt when he said that I was only hired for this year, and the position isn't open for me next year, with no further explanation given. I feel like I was never given a chance to prove myself, and can really be an asset if only given a chance. I would feel much better about the situation if I would know that he's clearing out the whole staff and redoing the entire setup (which I can understand since the whole situation was not ideal), than if he implies that there was something lacking in my performance. I also feel like I was used, when THEY needed me, but when they don't need me anymore, they send me away. I was strongly considering finding a position elsewhere in the same field for the next school year, but was hoping to have this as a backup. Besides, it's one thing if I leave because I want to, and quite another if I leave because I'm not wanted.

Is there any way I can have a conversation with my employer and explain how hurtful it was to me, and verify if it was something I did, not performing to their expectations, (in which case, I would like to know in which areas they found me lacking) or is it something that I shouldn't be taking too personally? I know I should probably just let it go and find a job elsewhere, but it really bothers me, and if possible, I would like to find a way to have a frank discussion with my employer without sounding like a whiny baby.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 11:27 pm
Leave personal feelings out of the picture. Your employer is not there to coddle your feelings; he is there to find the best person he can for the job for the price he wants to pay. It's nice to feel that your employer hired you because he liked and admired you, but he is not your friend or your sweetheart and his only concern is whether or not you can do the job he wants you to do. In essence, every employer uses his employees. They hire you when they need you, and, yes, when they no longer need the work you do, or they find someone who does what you do better than you do it, they can dismiss you. And by the exact same token, you take a job because you need it or want it, and when you no longer need it or enjoy it, or you find something better, you drop it and continue along your merry way without much concern for your boss's hurt feelings. To quote the Don (not the Donald)"It's nothing personal--just business."

However, your employer does owe you at least a performance evaluation and an explanation of why the contract is not being renewed. You should ask for this even if you have no interest in staying. Not because your tender feelings will be soothed if you learn that they really love you but are going broke and are laying off 3/4 of their staff, but because critiquing your performance will help you avoid in your next job any missteps you took on your current one.

Don't plead or whine; simply ask your boss in a forthright fashion to explain why he is not renewing your contract and to give you a frank performance evaluation. After he does, ask him in a calm, businesslike voice, "Is there anything I can do differently that would persuade you to retain me for another year?" Tone of voice is everything, Pleading and whining project weakness. Professional calm projects strength. You always want to negotiate from a position of strength.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:26 pm
I think the previous poster is mistaken. A school environment is not a business environment and has different rules and etiquettes. As a teacher I speak from experience

Schools are generally highly political environment. The director/boss is generally not able to make decisions on his own. He has to answer to donors, to students, to his staff, and to public opinion. He is almost always reacting instead of leading. This is the reality. You could do an excellent job and still get the shaft. This generally does not happen in a professional environment.

If he withdrew a position in such a manner, he was forced to do so probably based on issues that have little to do with you. No discussion will change that. What you can do is ask him if he would give you a good recommendation or better yet a letter of recommendation. In this way, you will get some clarity.

Good Luck and don't get discouraged.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:47 pm
I agree with Zaq. Even if a decision was purely political, it is helpful to ask for and receive an evaluation reviewing strengths and weaknesses of performance. And you'll never know whether I was performance or politics if you don't ask.

It's hard to hear, sure. It's hard to bite your tongue, not justify yourself to someone's unfair perceptions, and just say "thanks for your feedback". But it really helps.

I also agree with firebrick amother that it is a good idea to ask for a letter of recommendation.

At some point in life, most of us have been in less than ideal job circumstances where we were treated unfairly. I still bristle when I think of some of the times it happened to me. But, b"H, we can move on.

Here's hoping a better job comes you way soon.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:23 pm
Zaq is correct. If you'd prefer, think "professional" instead of "business." There may be political reasons why you weren't rehired, but getting an evaluation of your work and making clear you're intetested in staying can only help you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics