Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Skin on Baked Chicken

myname1

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:55 pm
When I bake chicken legs/thighs with spices or a thin sauce, I leave the skin on. I tried removing it before baking once, and it came out all dried out. So now I just try to get the spices/sauce also under the skin. My question is a thick sauce that is not meant to only flavor the chicken, but to stay on it and be eaten together. Specifically, I am planning to make a sesame chicken with a teriyake-ish sauce and sesame seeds on top. Should I leave the skin on and put the sauce and seeds on top? Or mix the seeds into the sauce and put it under the skin? Or remove the skin entirely? Thanks for any advice!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:47 pm
Are you baking the chicken uncovered, or covered with foil?

If you're baking uncovered, just use enough sauce so that it ends up pooling at the bottom and really flavors the chicken from the bottom up. No need to remove skin.

For example, I season the chicken very generously with garlic powder and salt then pour 1 heaping cup of duck sauce over 4 chicken bottoms (8 pieces, I separate the drumsticks and thighs for added flavor) making sure that each piece of skin in covered in sauce and bake uncovered at 375 for 1 hour and 25 minutes. By the time it's done the sauce on top has broiled into the skin and the whole pan of chicken is full of saucy gravy really giving you a flavored piece of chicken.

Kitten

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 5:23 pm
Leave the skin and put spices on top. I love crispy chicken skin.

myname1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 4:00 am
Thank you both, I'll give it a try!

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:49 am
I guess I am the odd person out. If I am cooking chicken with a sauce that is part of the meal, I ALWAYS remove the skin because it adds a lot of grease to the sauce and the skin is flabby anyway. If the chicken is covered in sauce, it doesn't dry out and you can always cover with foil to keep it moist.

With regular baked chicken in which the chicken is seasoned but it isn't cooked in a sauce, I will season under the skin to maximize the flavor. I don't eat poultry skin anymore. I have very good luck if I cook chicken without skin completely wrapped up with a bit of liquid (wine or chicken broth depending) because then the chicken essentially steams and remains very moist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey