Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric vs gas oven

LO

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:37 am
I am trying to choose an oven, and I would like to hear the pros/cons of electric vs gas, both in regards to Pesach and in general. Is one more expensive to run than the other? Is the cooking quality the same? Thank you so much!

mommish613

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:47 am
If you have a natural gas line connected to your house then a gas oven/stove is safer, more efficient and more cost effective. You can buy a gas oven that has the option to be used as a convection oven (using electricity) which is better for baking since it is bakes evenly.

A gas stove will work even during a power outage (oven wont since the new ones have electric igniters) plus gas stove tops are safe to use with a blech.

LO

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:48 am
Hmmm...good point about power outages, we have lots of them here....Sad

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:15 am
The house I bought has an electric range and I HATE it. It's the stovetop that bothers me the most. I've turned on the wrong burner, and not been able to see it, I can't judge the temperature as well as I can by seeing the flame, it cannot be ignited on Y"T, I have a couple burners that don't work due to the coils fizzling out, the coils don't cool down as fast when I want to lower the temp (e.g. rice is boiling over). Hate it, hate it, hate it. But the quote we got to run the gas line from downstairs to the area was the same price it would cost me to buy a gas range, which I had laid out money for. I just didn't have the money to double that. But when this goes completely, I hope I do have the money to replace it with gas.

LO

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:27 am
Wow, I didn't realize it could be so expensive to run the gas line....The house has an electric right now...I better get a quote on that....

Kitten

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:49 am
From my experience, gas ovens make much better food. But the most recent electric oven I used was from the 80s so maybe things changed since then.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:51 am
LO wrote:
Wow, I didn't realize it could be so expensive to run the gas line....The house has an electric right now...I better get a quote on that....

It depends where it is coming from. I have a line almost directly under but due to the flooring and whatever, it was way above what I thought it would be. About 750 in my case. I have heard of others who it only cost them 200....

perquacky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:45 am
If you don't have a gas line in the house, but it's less than 100 feet away (I believe that's the correct number), it can cost $10K+ to bring the line in and convert the whole house to gas, heating included.
This is in the NYC/Long Island area.
Not sure if it's less expensive elsewhere.
But I image it's much cheaper if you already have gas heat and just want to convert the kitchen.

myself

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:47 am
Electric stove doesn't have to = electric oven. You can get two separate pieces.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:07 am
Electric oven is better than gas for even cooking. You can do gas burners and electric convection as the best if you don't have wall ovens.

Everyone I know with wall ovens has electric wall ovens even if they have gas burner cooktop.

ilovesem

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:41 am
I used to have gas. I found it very reliable but one or two dishes that I cooked the same as my mother (she has electric) were just not as good. Also it happened a lot that the flame went out - the oven had a door you push closed so as you push it shut it could extinguish the flame.

Some more disadvantages were that the holes for the gas to come out sometimes got clogged up which meant the oven wasn't reaching the right temperature. I knew this because I bought a thermometer as gas ovens don't indicate what temperature they are or when they have reached the set temperature.

So when we re-did the kitchen I put in electric ovens and I now have the same yummy tasting dishes as my Mother!

perquacky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:50 am
I'd have to argue--and my husband the chef would agree--that electric ovens do not cook as well as gas.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:54 am
ilovesem wrote:
I used to have gas. I found it very reliable but one or two dishes that I cooked the same as my mother (she has electric) were just not as good. Also it happened a lot that the flame went out - the oven had a door you push closed so as you push it shut it could extinguish the flame.

Some more disadvantages were that the holes for the gas to come out sometimes got clogged up which meant the oven wasn't reaching the right temperature. I knew this because I bought a thermometer as gas ovens don't indicate what temperature they are or when they have reached the set temperature.

So when we re-did the kitchen I put in electric ovens and I now have the same yummy tasting dishes as my Mother!

Maybe it has to do with the age of the oven more than the type? I have had a thermometer in my oven since my first gas range which was old and semi-reliable, then I had a new one, now I have a used electric, and I don't find the temperature to be any better in this one than in my first old gas range.

Some gas ranges do indicate what temperature they are up to in heating and when they have reached that; my new one did. My electric one has a digital display that just says preheating until it reaches the desired temp. But even once it says it reached it, that doesn't mean it's completely accurate.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 5:28 pm
We have the glass surface electric and electric wall ovens from the previous ppl who lived here. Hate them both! Nothibg cooks properly; takes ages to boil water, so many foods burn ( plus kids hands or towels that by mistake get too close to a still hot burner), chicken takes forever in the oven etc. But it would cost us 5,000 minimum to switch to gas so I'm stuck.

kitchen designer

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:21 am
just be aware that not all gas stove/cooktops can be used with a black out. And many salespeople wont be able to tell you one way or the other.

Kitten

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:29 am
kitchen designer wrote:
just be aware that not all gas stove/cooktops can be used with a black out. And many salespeople wont be able to tell you one way or the other.

What's a black out?

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:49 am
Gas hob, electric oven. Everyone I know has this combo.

The only gas ovens I used were really lousy quality and v v old, in student or horrible rental places, cooked v badly, so I don't know what a good gas oven is like, but gas stovetop is much easier to use and perfect for my needs.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 11:31 am
Kitten wrote:
What's a black out?

Power outage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen