Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me about Bergenfield/Teaneck
Previous  1  2

Maya

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
I live in the LW mo part of teaneck. There are also Rw and centrist mo parts as well as a yeshiva community. Bergenfield is yeshivish from my perspective, maybe very rw mo. All the women wear sheitels etc.

Really? That can't be right.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
I live in the LW mo part of teaneck. There are also Rw and centrist mo parts as well as a yeshiva community. Bergenfield is yeshivish from my perspective, maybe very rw mo. All the women wear sheitels etc.

I live in Teaneck too but I'm not aware of a LW MO part of Teaneck. There are no specific communities that are LW, RW, or Centrist. I think it's safe to say that it is in general a very mixed community.

I live in the West Englewood section & it is a mix in terms of LW, RW & Centrist MO. Not sure which area you live in but that is not my experience in my area.

Truth is, the shul I go to (Keter Torah) is a bit more to the left (of me) in general but there are definitely many women who wear sheitels & falls who go there as well.

I don't consider Bergenfield yeshivish at all even though there may be more YNJ families who live there & for the most part, the YNJ moms do cover their hair although in Teaneck there are so many different ways that women cover their hair. Some wear falls, full sheitels, kippah falls & sometimes it's even hard to tell if women are covering their hair especially with the kippah falls that blend the whole front of the hair with the fall. In addition, the women who wear hats all cover their hair differently. Some cover most & some just cover the tops of their head. There really is such a variety of practice.

Back to the OP, I don't think Teaneck is the community you are looking for..

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
Passaic does sound like a good match, but the commute to Queens isn't short. Boys who go to mesivta there dorm.

There are men who commute daily to queens from Passaic. It's not a great commute but it does sound like you'd fit in Passaic more so than Teaneck.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:45 pm
Not OP, but visiting. Is there any problem with water like I heard there was in NY?
Also, any information about the eruv? We will be near Young Israel.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Teaneck too but I'm not aware of a LW MO part of Teaneck. There are no specific communities that are LW, RW, or Centrist. I think it's safe to say that it is in general a very mixed community.

I live in the West Englewood section & it is a mix in terms of LW, RW & Centrist MO. Not sure which area you live in but that is not my experience in my area.

Truth is, the shul I go to (Keter Torah) is a bit more to the left (of me) in general but there are definitely many women who wear sheitels & falls who go there as well.

I don't consider Bergenfield yeshivish at all even though there may be more YNJ families who live there & for the most part, the YNJ moms do cover their hair although in Teaneck there are so many different ways that women cover their hair. Some wear falls, full sheitels, kippah falls & sometimes it's even hard to tell if women are covering their hair especially with the kippah falls that blend the whole front of the hair with the fall. In addition, the women who wear hats all cover their hair differently. Some cover most & some just cover the tops of their head. There really is such a variety of practice.

Back to the OP, I don't think Teaneck is the community you are looking for..

I live in country club.

Maya, I meant the women in Bergenfield, most seem to wear sheitels or falls.

Maya

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
I live in country club.

Maya, I meant the women in Bergenfield, most seem to wear sheitels or falls.

That's interesting. My pants wearing, non hair covering MO neighbors have mentioned multiple times how more modern than them is the community in Bergenfield. Smile

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:03 pm
Maya wrote:
That's interesting. My pants wearing, non hair covering MO neighbors have mentioned multiple times how more modern than them is the community in Bergenfield. Smile

The majority of younger women in Bergenfield, 20s and 30s, cover their hair completely. The most RW shul is Ohr Hatorah Aka Rabbi Sobolofsky's, then comes Beth Abraham and then BMOB. Someone earlier mentioned BMOB as a RW place - it's not. But they have a lovely Rabbi and Reb. Stafsky who are more RW.

Bergenfield has mostly RYNJ students, the mothers cover their hair, wear longer skirts and cover elbows and collar bones. Obviously, there's a bit of everyone everywhere, but that's the majority.

As for someone who said they're visiting. There's no water issue like in NYC and there is an Eruv.

staten islander

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 6:21 pm
What is an average price of a 4 bedroom house in great condition in teaneck, walking distance to a shul?

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 8:58 pm
Maya wrote:

Are your neighbors young (20s, 30s..) or a little older than that?

They may be referring to an older community in Bergenfield, a more MO crowd.

The younger crowd is more right wing, from my understanding.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:19 am
staten islander wrote:
What is an average price of a 4 bedroom house in great condition in teaneck, walking distance to a shul?

That's a tough question to answer because it depends on so many things. If you are looking for fully redone, probably around $700-800,000. There are houses starting in the $300,000 range and go up well over a million.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating