Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Occupational Therapy Assistant Career

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 9:50 pm
Anyone here an OTA? Im interested in finding out about the job, pay and if there is a need for OTAs. Im in Brooklyn. Any info is greatly appreciated.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:35 pm
Anyone?

mommyfirst

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:04 pm
OTA positions are mostly in nursing home type settings. I would strongly consider an OT degree instead, if possible. It will give you a lot more flexibility and way better pay potential.

Chew21

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:19 pm
I am also interested in going for OTA since it is less schooling and I can always advance to OT. Anyone have any info? Job availability, salary ect.

mirror

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:21 pm
I do know that hospitals are hiring more OTAs and fewer OTs. OTAs make about $20 an hour. In a hospital, an OTA can make $70k after ten years.

Which program are you considering?

Chew21

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 6:24 pm
Bump

happy1234

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:17 am
I'm an OT not an OTA. If you have any general questions I can help you. I am not familiar with OTA jobs etc. I know schooling is less and pay is less and most employees prefer a regular OT because they can do evaluations. I'm in the public school system and the OTs I think are regular OTs not OTAs.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:52 pm
Hi,
I know this is a few months late. I am also interested in OTA, because of the schooling and being a functioning mother and wife during schooling is extremely important to me. I know because an OTA can't evaluate a patient it does make it less convenient for clients. But does anyone know if OTA's can do home care, if a patient was previously evaluated.
I would love to work with kids in home care, I just keep going back and forth wondering if OTA is even worth it.
Does anyone have any input?

Thanks!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,
I know this is a few months late. I am also interested in OTA, because of the schooling and being a functioning mother and wife during schooling is extremely important to me. I know because an OTA can't evaluate a patient it does make it less convenient for clients. But does anyone know if OTA's can do home care, if a patient was previously evaluated.
I would love to work with kids in home care, I just keep going back and forth wondering if OTA is even worth it.

Thanks!

Technically it would be permitted since OTA does not require on site OT supervision (PTA does), but practically speaking, I dont know of any agencies that hire OTA in this capacity. The work for OTA is primarily in SNF and school based settings.

Otrox

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

In NYC you can not work in CPSE or CSE so that limits you. You can work with school aged children through insurance (going rate here $40/hour). You can work in early intervention and do home care (going rate her $40/half hour and $50/hour, only paid for treatment time).
You can also work in SNF, but I don't know the rates. You can check out the going rates on glassdoor.com.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, but I will only base it off of what I know about New York City.

Otrox

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:36 pm
mommyfirst wrote:
OTA positions are mostly in nursing home type settings. I would strongly consider an OT degree instead, if possible. It will give you a lot more flexibility and way better pay potential.

If you are doing your schooling the Jewish way, it may be worth it to become a Cota. It is a lot less $$ in student loans, and if you are good at negotiating, you will end up making $5-10 less an hour than that OT who may be stuck with $80,000 worth of debt. Some schools like downstate are much cheaper, but the Jewish programs are very expensive.

Otrox

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
Technically it would be permitted since OTA does not require on site OT supervision (PTA does), but practically speaking, I dont know of any agencies that hire OTA in this capacity. The work for OTA is primarily in SNF and school based settings.

Competent care, an NYC early intervention homecare company has COTAs working for them. I'm sure there are others as well.
Again, I am only giving info on NY because that's what I know best.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:59 pm
thank you so much.
Are you an OTA?
I assume you recommend going into it

Otrox

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
thank you so much.
Are you an OTA?
I assume you recommend going into it

I am an OT. I am just trying to give you more information. I lecture graduating classes and provide them with this kind of information.
I also wish someone would have provided me with information before I went to school.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:46 am
I don't live in NY area but work for a company that does geriatric home care. (not as an OT or OTA). while we do hire OTA's, they don't get a ton of consistent work. Its mostly filling in and backing up the OT's if they get too busy. I have a friend who is an OTA and works at a hospital and loves it. I don't know anything about salary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics