Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Eczema treament
1  2  Next

happy mommy6

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:08 pm
Need alternative to hydrocorttzone. my nine year old daughter has it bad on her legs. any suggestions?

gazingblue

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:14 pm
First, I'm sorry for you and your daughter. Eczema can be so painful. From my experience with my daughter, eczema was an allergic. I know that when she eats certain foods--she reacts.

I recently started some alternative (I was never a big believer) treatments for her, which has bli ayin hara been helping. I also use calendula cream which gives her some relief.

Hatzlacha

dhm

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:15 pm
I have eczema in my ears which is really uncomfortable when it acts up... I was using drops which I recently found out has cortisone so I stopped using it. Then I read somewhere that lavender helps clear up eczema. So it was worth a shot. I mixed lavender essential oil with some coconut oil and put a little in my outer ears. It really works! The itching doesn't wake me anymore!

jflower

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:50 pm
http://www.koshervitamins.com/.....15-OZ coconut oil

I recently bought this to use as a moisturizer & decided to use it on the eczema on my finger. I've used it for the last 3 nights (I put it on before I go to bed, then put on a white cotton glove from CVS, then a vinyl glove on top.) The eczema is much improved.

It probably would improve even faster if I would use the coconut oil during the day as well, but it's not a practical idea for me to walk around with a white glove on one hand.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:31 pm
I've had severe eczema all my life. The only thing that helps is cortisone, but when you stop the treatment it comes back. I think I've tried every possible prescription cream.
3 weeks ago, my mother suggested I try Lipikar from La Roche Posay, upon suggestion of her dermatologist in France. It's a well-known French brand that you find in pharmacies, in France. It just really hydrates the skin. I have the shower gel (non soap based) and the cream in a pump. I still have eczema but it is getting much better and I definitely feel less itchy, so I scratch less and look and feel less horrible. The bottle says you can use it on babies, and it's also good if you're pregnant. I was really surprised.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:34 pm
Lavender can help but don't put too much as it will burn your skin, and you'll feel itchy again as the skin grows back. Lavender oil is extremely drying, so be sure to moisturize a lot.

happy mommy6

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 1:38 am
Thanks for the advice. What alternative medicine did you try?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 5:17 am
Has anyone tried cutting dairy out of your diet?

I suggested it to a friend of mine who's kids had terrible eczema, and it cleared up right away. About a month later I noticed that it had all come back, and she told me "Oh, the kids want cream cheese on their bagels, and they love milk so much, and it's just so hard to feed them" etc.

It makes me so mad that her children are suffering, and she can't manage to adjust her menu and get the kids used to it. Crying

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 7:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Has anyone tried cutting dairy out of your diet?

I suggested it to a friend of mine who's kids had terrible eczema, and it cleared up right away. About a month later I noticed that it had all come back, and she told me "Oh, the kids want cream cheese on their bagels, and they love milk so much, and it's just so hard to feed them" etc.

It makes me so mad that her children are suffering, and she can't manage to adjust her menu and get the kids used to it. Crying

Don't judge her. My dd has bad eczema but would rather be itchy then give up dairy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 8:41 am
Yup, my son reacts immediately to wheat, but allergy testing didn't show an official allergic response, and he took it to mean he will eat what he wants when he wants, and who cares about the itching. (And the bleeding and subsequent infection....) I spent an entire year going out of my way and budget making sure he had delicious food he could eat, but he would sneak wheat every where else, so I gave up.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:23 am
Interesting about coconut oil- never helped my kids eczema

Momkan

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:12 pm
another vote for coconut oil!! it's helping a lot.. with a combination of bacitracin for the open areas..

Kitten

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:23 pm
Momkan wrote:
another vote for coconut oil!! it's helping a lot.. with a combination of bacitracin for the open areas..

Coconut oil can help a lot because it's very hydrating. It makes you feel less itchy, so you scratch less. It also soothes itchy scalps that suffer from eczema (and puts oil on your head coverings).

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:28 pm
Coconut oil never helped ds excema. Diet changes and dry warm climate has helped the most. He cant have wheat dairy eggs corn or soy or else his excema flairs. I have a tried a variety of essential oils as well which didnt help. It is most often an allergy if it is chronic and needs to be healed from the inside. He takes different forms of probiitics as welll. Anything topical will not help all that much. Sometimes it is caused by other things though. I get excema on my finger and arm during times of extreme stress. Coconut oil and stress reduction will get rid of it but BH its not a chronic condition.
Amother who mentioned alternative treatments, what is working?

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 11:07 pm
The dermatologist suggested diluted bleach baths for DD's eczema and it worked really well.

hlweee

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 11:51 pm
My niece has eczema, my sister gives her aged borscht. For those of u who know what it is. Works wonders. When she's off it, it all comes back though.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:17 am
Why an alternative, if your child needs it, please give it. You don't want it to get infected!

Once it's under-control keep moisturizing it (CeraVe worked best) and once a day give your child a bath, when s/he is still in the water put Vaseline on it - it works wonders!

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 5:14 am
Aveeno's eczema therapy cream does not contain cortisone and it works amazingly well for me. K'h

The other thing that helped me was to avoid contact with rubber and latex. I covered up the rubber hand grip on my stroller with cloth tape and that made a big difference.

Even elastics in socks and underwear could cause flare ups.

Hatzlahah.

bookie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:34 am
63 wrote:
Aveeno's eczema therapy cream does not contain cortisone and it works amazingly well for me. K'h

The other thing that helped me was to avoid contact with rubber and latex. I covered up the rubber hand grip on my stroller with cloth tape and that made a big difference.

Even elastics in socks and underwear could cause flare ups.

Hatzlahah.

I also find Aveeno to work very well. I have to moisturize at least once a day otherwise it flares up again

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 11:59 am
wow I am so happy to see that there are options. I was so lost when dd just a few wks old came up and I didnt know till a doctor saw it. and of course gave cortisone. then I did testing and nothing came up so the allergist told me to stop using all chemical soaps just dove white bar. but its not shampoo. I dont have achoice but to use it for now. and I use all free and clear detergent. its all gone, then if I give her anything with major egg yolk content she gets some flare up on her cheeks. I dont even know when to try using regular soap on her, I moved so I have to find another alergist. but this is what worked. bh we figured it out. I thank hashem cause I know it can be so so difficult.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics