Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Map of Yerushalayim Suburbs?
Previous  1  2

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:18 pm
Forget neighborhoods -- its even very difficult to figure out street names; they often change every block or two. And some, like the Jerusalem road commonly called Kvish Echad isn't officially called that at all and you won't find it by that name on any map -- it has different names each few blocks.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:01 pm
etky wrote:
That's part of Jerusalem's charm. The hodgepodge of neighborhoods, the history behind their construction, their sometimes obscure names, and trying to figure out where one ends and the next one starts. I have to say that I really miss that. Here the neighborhoods are named after shivat haminim and they are very clearly delineated. Boring.

ITA! I think you can learn a lot of history just walking around the city and reading the descriptions on the blue street signs. Shabbat walks have been a lot more boring since we moved out of the city.

Shuly

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:03 pm
The Newcomer's Guide has great maps.

StripedFlower

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:02 am
It seems we have different definitions of suburb, yes, I mean what Americans would call "neighbourhoods".

water_bear88 wrote:
I think part of the problem is some neighborhoods are tiny- like maybe 3 blocks total. They're difficult to draw on a map unless all your interested in is the neighborhoods

So? I'm not asking private people to make me a map. It's normal for cities to provide this. It's a complicated city perhaps, but way, WAY smaller and less complicated than many other major cities out there. I'm surprised it's so difficult to find a semi-coherent map.

Thanks, Singleagain, that map was very useful. I can complain about the completely warped Israeli-English spelling and about a few other things, of course, but all in alll it's very helpful, so thanks!

StripedFlower

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:04 am
Shuly wrote:
The Newcomer's Guide has great maps.

Thanks but I don't know what that is.

water_bear88

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 1:24 pm
StripedFlower wrote:
So? I'm not asking private people to make me a map. It's normal for cities to provide this. It's a complicated city perhaps, but way, WAY smaller and less complicated than many other major cities out there. I'm surprised it's so difficult to find a semi-coherent map.

I'm not doubting you- but I'd be curious to see one of these maps you describe that shows neighborhood borders clearly, just to see what that would look like. I'm having trouble imagining a practical way to draw that that also clearly shows streets and fits on a printed page. I consider a good map of Jerusalem one that includes the streets in Gilo, Ramot, and Neve Yaakov instead of resorting to arrows at the edge of the map pointing outward saying "to Gilo" etc.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 1:04 am
water_bear88 wrote:
'm having trouble imagining a practical way to draw that that also clearly shows streets and fits on a printed page.

I can look, and I'm sure there would be, but remember, that's not was I was specifically asking for. I wanted areas only, not streets, though it's a nice bonus.

Fwiw I note the map by singleagain (while its very good) doesn't show areas such as "Ganei Geulah, Minchas Yitzchok. I'm not sure if they're consider neighbourhoods or not. But given that a tiny area such as Nachlaot is made up of 7 or so neighbourhoods... so I can see how it can be hard.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 2:16 am
StripedFlower wrote:
I can look, and I'm sure there would be, but remember, that's not was I was specifically asking for. I wanted areas only, not streets, though it's a nice bonus.

Fwiw I note the map by singleagain (while its very good) doesn't show areas such as "Ganei Geulah, Minchas Yitzchok. I'm not sure if they're consider neighbourhoods or not. But given that a tiny area such as Nachlaot is made up of 7 or so neighbourhoods... so I can see how it can be hard.

I'm pretty sure than "Ganei Geula" is a specific building project and "Minchas Yitzchok" is a street name. If your definition of "suburbs" (or "neighborhoods" or "areas") is that small, it is understandable that you are having trouble finding a map that labels them as such. I'd be very surprised if you can find a map of any major city that names every building project separately. It is definitely true that people will often refer to a specific area like that, but it is usually not reflected that way on a map. (Here in RBS A for example, pretty much every group of buildings is given a name by the Kablan, and people do refer to the areas like that -- "Sun Gardens" "Diamond Heights", etc. -- but a map would not show that. It would just list street names and then differentiate between Ramat Beit Shemesh Aleph and Beis -- and maybe identify larger neighborhoods such as "Sheinfeld" or "Ramat Shilo")

Here is a google map of the Minchas Yitzchak area, if it helps (but only with street names, not "areas")

https://www.google.co.il/maps/.....data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1502d6213a91191f:0x48ca223adac9f526?hl=en

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 3:03 am
StripedFlower wrote:

As the other pster said, gaanei geulais a building. It is not a neighborhood. I think it is the same story with minchat yitzchok.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:06 am
m in Israel wrote:
I'm pretty sure than "Ganei Geula" is a specific building project and "Minchas Yitzchok" is a street name. If your definition of "suburbs" (or "neighborhoods" or "areas") is that small, it is understandable that you are having trouble finding a map that labels them as such.

It is definitely true that people will often refer to a specific area like that, but it is usually not reflected that way on a map. ")

No, I wasn't after that, I just threw it in at the end, after I received a pretty good map here. I did think they were areas like you say because people refer to them that way, though.

nylon

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:23 am
The way I have seen "suburb" used this way as a city neighborhood is from Australia/NZ and it is tricky as their suburbs have official boundaries. It is very confusing to an American or Brit when people refer to somewhere like Bondi or Woollahra as "suburbs of Sydney".

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:26 am
nylon wrote:
The way I have seen "suburb" used this way as a city neighborhood is from Australia/NZ and it is tricky as their suburbs have official boundaries. It is very confusing to an American or Brit when people refer to somewhere like Bondi or Woollahra as "suburbs of Sydney".

Bingo. Why is it tricky??

Don't Israeli suburbs have official boundaries?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:47 am
StripedFlower wrote:
Bingo. Why is it tricky??

Don't Israeli suburbs have official boundaries?

Usually not!
They do when they border a highway or have a specific street design like har nifty and sanhedria Hamurchevet. But where's their border between Ramat Eshkol and Sanhedria?

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
Usually not!
They do when they border a highway or have a specific street design like har nifty and sanhedria Hamurchevet. But where's their border between Ramat Eshkol and Sanhedria?

Rehov Yam Suf, no? Originally it was, at least, when the neighborhood was first built. There was a significant break in construction on Rehov Yam Suf that indicated that one neighborhood was ending and the next one beginning. The two neighborhoods were intended for totally different population groups so I assume the break was intentional.

StripedFlower

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
Usually not!

So strange. So someone threw paint on a map and said here shall be a new suburb. We'll call it X, and it shall be more or less here or there, but it doesn't matter. Like blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey...

There is SO much about EY I don't understand Smile

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:00 am
etky wrote:
Rehov Yam Suf, no? Originally it was, at least, when the neighborhood was first built. There was a significant break in construction on Rehov Yam Suf that indicated that one neighborhood was ending and the next one beginning. The two neighborhoods were intended for totally different population groups so I assume the break was intentional.

That separates the murchevet. All the mevo's are Ramat Eshkol, both sides of Shaul Hamelech? To where?
Also the whole are from Givat Moshe to Romema.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:07 am
StripedFlower wrote:
So strange. So someone threw paint on a map and said here shall be a new suburb. We'll call it X, and it shall be more or less here or there, but it doesn't matter. Like blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey...

There is SO much about EY I don't understand Smile

The areas of Sanhedia Murchevet, Ramot Eshkol and French HIll were no-mans land until after the Six Day War. When the land became available after the war, these neighborhoods were planned (early seventies) to accomodate natural population growth. Ramot, Neve Ya'acov, Gilo and Talpiot Mizrach followed about five years later (mid-seventies) and Pisgat Ze'ev, Givat Ze'ev and many of the Gush Etzion communities outside of the city proper in the early to mid-eighties (pre-first Intifada). Har Choma was constructed in the mid-nineties, in the climate of Oslo, and amid some political controversy over the land. Same goes for Ramat Shlomo I believe though the neighborhood was planned much much earlier. There was bickering about a possible soccer stadium going up there and in the end it was decided to construct housing instead. There was nothing random about any of these decisions to build new neighborhoods or suburbs of Jerusalem - they were all given close consideration (political, demographic, environmental etc.) and some were built despite public and political controversy.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:09 am
Iymnok wrote:
That separates the murchevet. All the mevo's are Ramat Eshkol, both sides of Shaul Hamelech? To where?
Also the whole are from Givat Moshe to Romema.

Originally Shaul Hamelech was not an intrinsic part of Sanhedia Murchevet. You had to climb the hill past Gan Sanhedria to get there. It was the edge of the old Sanhedria. I have no idea what the area looks like now. Has it been swolled up by Murchevet?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions