Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
PLaces to go in Europe
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone! My husband really doesn't want to rent a car Sad
So annoying!

So... you want a place that is near public transportation?
Or a place where you take a taxi from the airport and stay close by (no trips to get food, for example)?

I think it will be hard to find an inexpensive place with a private pool in the middle of a city large enough to justify an airport.

In what season will you be travelling?

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 8:32 am
you might find a nice villa within walking distance or a short taxi ride to a town or beach town and then you just need to take a taxi to and from airport. If you are ok not seeing lots of sights and taking taxis it should work.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:17 am
DrMom, we would like to go soon, maybe even this month.
Near public transportation would be best of course. It's hard to even start looking when I have NO idea about these places. The whole idea of having a private pool is to not have to go to beach by day with hubby. So it's quite important to me.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:19 am
Really, really, the further you are from city (= buildings, etc), the awfuler the transport is. Really, really. Can't emphasize it enough.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:24 am
You could look on airbnb for places with pools.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7.....=UVxZ

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2.....=UVxZ

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2.....=UVxZ

Last edited by DrMom on Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

chagru

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:25 am
Maybe Nice may be your best option then. There are a lot of places with pools, and you are close enough to everything that public transport would work

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:21 am
I told my husband about Nice and he was all weird about going to France. (The matzav and all) I think it's silly but I will try again to convince my husband.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
I told my husband about Nice and he was all weird about going to France. (The matzav and all) I think it's silly but I will try again to convince my husband.

Come to Israel! Wink

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:29 am
I'm sure you can go anywhere as long as it is within walking distance of some shops or a small town.

chagru

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:47 am
What about Lake Verona in Italy. There is a Kosher Hotel there that is not expensive. You won't have a private pool, but there will likely be some quiet places by the lake you can swim in

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 3:23 pm
DrMom thanks so much for the links!! The first place in Italy looks gorgeous and not expensive and the reviews sound great. I have no idea though which airport is closest to there? (looks like we need a train too.)
Any other good websites you can recommend?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:13 am
amother wrote:

The matzav in Nice? HAHAHAHAHA! sorry! From what I read online, NY is more dangerous than Nice...

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:26 pm
Lol Ruchel, I know! But it's ok, my husband already is willing to go to Nice. Found a guesthouse with a private pool there. We still have to decide though.
My dream is to go to Spain but the tickets are way too expensive Sad (to Malaga)

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:35 pm
Important question for me: Could a visibly chassidish man/couple go to Greece? (bc of antisemitism?) or it is not an issue? I found some STUNNING places in santorini. But I'm wary...

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:30 pm
Very sadly, there are so few Jews remaining in Greece (yes I was thinking about it on Yom haShoa today/y'day), most Greeks have not met actual Jews, chassidish or just plain frum with knitted kippot. Santorini is a tourist island, quite a different story from Athens. Yes, Golden Arrow is rather scary, I suspect they do have some anti-Semitism in their mind but their main focus is anti-immigrant/xenophobia in general rather than something against a Chossid.

I wasn't aware Greece has any Jewish infrastructure (shul, kosher food)--I did hear of chabad in Athens but not sure if this is permanent or only on certain seasons. Far less stunning but Cyprus does have Chabad.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:
DrMom thanks so much for the links!! The first place in Italy looks gorgeous and not expensive and the reviews sound great. I have no idea though which airport is closest to there? (looks like we need a train too.)
Any other good websites you can recommend?

If you look on airbnb you can find dozens of vacation rentals with pools. After you enter your destination (you can input "Europe" if you want) and some sample dates, click on "More filters"then click on "Amenities" and choose "pool." Dozens of options will pop up.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 5:47 am
I would also say outside of big cities people won't really know about Jews. There may be some "religious" antisemitism about Yoshke related matters...
Most attacks have been on monuments and cemeteries...
The still lively kehilot are Athens and Saloniki. Both very "frey", with also many "traditional minded" but few keep kosher ke halacha etc- typical Shoah survivor things. There is a kosher list, bh. And Gostijo restaurant is love, real Greek Sefardi food. Those who can and are religious or "committed to Judaism" try to send their kids to Israel, USA, Paris, London... (source: my grandma is Greek).

I wouldn't recommend Israel for someone who is afraid of out of town France. Read the news. The real ones, I mean not the propaganda.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 2:34 am
Ruchel wrote:
I would also say outside of big cities people won't really know about Jews. There may be some "religious" antisemitism about Yoshke related matters...
Most attacks have been on monuments and cemeteries...
The still lively kehilot are Athens and Saloniki. Both very "frey", with also many "traditional minded" but few keep kosher ke halacha etc- typical Shoah survivor things. There is a kosher list, bh. And Gostijo restaurant is love, real Greek Sefardi food. Those who can and are religious or "committed to Judaism" try to send their kids to Israel, USA, Paris, London... (source: my grandma is Greek).

I wouldn't recommend Israel for someone who is afraid of out of town France. Read the news. The real ones, I mean not the propaganda.

What does this mean?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 12:39 pm
If you want to know about a country, be it America, France, Israel, Bhutan, read or ask something neutral, not something meant to make you react in a certain way. Hamevin yavin, I will not be continuing this convo Wink

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 03 2015, 11:58 am
UPDATE: We won 2 tickets to Malaga Spain!! (we had a contest and we won! how bashert is that!!) So we rented a room with a pool in Marbella for dirt cheap! (38€ a night!) It was a luxury bedroom, stunning!! I found it on airbnb, thanks to amother who recommended it!! We went for 2 full days, took food along, rented a car for 20€ for 3 days! First day was spent in Marbella, second day we drove to Gibraltar. It was amazing, we had stunning, hot weather and I loved every second of it! Thanks for all your help! So it was a cheap, luxury vacation! Bh!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics