Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Women of the wall what do you think

yenny

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:33 am
It's rosh chodesh, so w.o.w celebrated at the kotel . With a real sefer torah . What's your opinion about the group in general.Is there a way of accommodating them ? Can both opinions work?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:43 am
This is technically a banned topic.

While the thread is open, I will say that I support their effort in making an Israel that I can one day move to.

Sadie

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:50 am
Yenny, if you scroll down you'll see several interesting threads on his topic!
But as long as this thread is open I'll say that I think they're doing something really important and I would have been there this morning if I were the type of person who could voluntarily wake up at 6am!

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:08 am
I support them fully. Its not anything I would personally do, but I see no reason on earth to deny them the right to read from a sefer Torah.

It infuriates me that the kotel is run like a private charedi men's club.

yenny

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:11 am
Oops sorry!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:14 am
I feel that expressing my opinion here is not worth the stress it will bring.
From what I see they are loud fringe group with strong backing from groups for whom ration Hashem is not top priority. I find it a bizayon to tashmishei kedusha.
-running and ducking from the tomatoes!

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:15 am
I think what they're doing is terrible. I feel totally fulfilled with my place in shul and Judaism. Changes like women's minyans lead to Conservative Judaism and even Reform. You may say it's Halachically correct but such a change can be done in a local shul but not at the Kotel. The kotel is an orthodox place for everyone to come to. These women are making a point and as a result they're making many Orthodox people uncomfortable. They have no right to bring Women's Rights to the Kotel. A person who wants to Daven to Hashem is welcome to spend hours at the kotel in Tfilla. A woman in tfillin and a Talit in public is proving a point.

We have enough "political" issues. Why can't they leave politics out of religion. It's an Orthodox place, not a game.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:19 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
I support them fully. Its not anything I would personally do, but I see no reason on earth to deny them the right to read from a sefer Torah.

I completely agree. Couldn't have said it better.

Last edited by oliveoil on Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Sanguine wrote:
I think what they're doing is terrible. I feel totally fulfilled with my place in shul and Judaism. Changes like women's minyans lead to Conservative Judaism and even Reform. You may say it's Halachically correct but such a change can be done in a local shul but not at the Kotel. The kotel is an orthodox place for everyone to come to. These women are making a point and as a result they're making many Orthodox people uncomfortable. They have no right to bring Women's Rights to the Kotel. A person who wants to Daven to Hashem is welcome to spend hours at the kotel in Tfilla. A woman in tfillin and a Talit in public is proving a point.

We have enough "political" issues. Why can't they leave politics out of religion. It's an Orthodox place, not a game.

It's a Jewish place that all Jews should be able to pray at.

Never mind that a bunch of WOW members are Orthodox Rolling Eyes

leah233

Sadie wrote:
Yenny, if you scroll down you'll see several interesting threads on his topic!
But as long as this thread is open I'll say that I think they're doing something really important and I would have been there this morning if I were the type of person who could voluntarily wake up at 6am!

Who do you feel they are doing something important for?And why do you feel that way?

mummiedearest

popcorn, anyone? Whistling

Sadie

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:26 am
leah233 wrote:
Who do you feel they are doing something important for?And why do you feel that way?

My feelings are well articulated by others in previous threads. I don't want to get in trouble here!

Sanguine

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:34 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

I don't see it that way. When I go to shul, I want to be in an orthodox shul. I've been to many Bar Mitzva's at the kotel for my "non-Chareidi" family and it's just how we would do it in our shuls. I'm not expecting an Aliya. The women are on the other side of the Mechitza listening and throwing candy. - That's orthodoxy.

The minute you make changes, it goes too far. Some of the W.O.W. may be dati but a lot aren't. It won't take long till the mother gets an aliya at her son's Bar Mitzva at the Kotel. Maybe there should be a third section for Mixed at the kotel. If they do, what do you think of the kadosh kotel being used for unhalachic practices?

Barbara

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:34 am
Iymnok wrote:
I feel that expressing my opinion here is not worth the stress it will bring.
From what I see they are loud fringe group with strong backing from groups for whom ration Hashem is not top priority. I find it a bizayon to tashmishei kedusha.
-running and ducking from the tomatoes!

Many members of WOW have been coming to the Kotel to daven on rosh chodesh for decades. DECADES. Longer than many people here have been alive. Each and every month.

When is the last time that you got up in the morning and traveled to the kotel, or even your local shul, to daven shachrit on rosh chodesh? I can tell you that for me, the answer is never.

I certainly would have no right to say that Hashem is not a priority for those who have sacrificed so much -- including arrests and verable harassment and having Orthodox men throw chairs and human fecal matter at them -- in order to daven.

I fully support all Jews who want to connect with Hashem, including Jews who want to connect with Hashem by davening at the kotel. I fully support WOW who do so in a halachic manner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics