Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Down's Syndrome Babies- Unsdorf
Previous  1  2  3

Jeanette

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:51 am
amother wrote:
Probably. Understandably, it's not something that people talk about, but the numbers of children born with Down keep getting smaller.
In the general population, termination is nearly universal when fetal testing reveals Down syndrome.

Um, no.

First of all the statistic that shows a 90% termination rate is very old. Secondly it only includes people who chose to get tested at a time when only invasive testing (amnio or CVS) were available, so the ones who got tested were already more motivated to "do something" if DS was discovered. The blood tests being offered now can be done in early pregnancy but still have a high false positive rate. Many prospective parents who take the test have no intention of aborting their baby, they just want to be prepared, so not necessarily will increased testing lead to a reduction of the DS population.

If you want to read more about prenatal testing, from the perspective of a bioethicist and father of a child with DS, go here: http://www.downsyndromeprenataltesting.com/.

From my totally subjective perspective, a world with fewer people with DS would be a lonelier, sadder world.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:59 am
Thanks for the correction. I was working with info gathered during one of my pregnancies.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:07 pm
I just watched this movie on Netflix http://www.monicaanddavid.com

It was SO good! Keep the tissues ready. Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics