Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Eggless Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

coconutbutter

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:15 am
Just made these and they were a great hit so thought I'd share:

http://www.spiceupthecurry.com.....cipe/

INGREDIENTS
All purpose flour (Maida) - 1½ cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Unsweetened cocoa powder - 2 tablespoons
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - ½ teaspoon
Salt - ⅛ teaspoon
Oil - ¼ cup, any flavorless oil like canola, vegetable, corn or safflower
White vinegar or apple cider vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Water - 1 cup
Chocolate chips - 1 cup
INSTRUCTIONS
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degree F or 200 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
Prepare the muffin tray, line it with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray or lightly butter it.
In one bowl, mix dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients). If it has too many lumps then sift it.
In another bowl, beat the wet ingredients (7th to 10th).
Now add dry to wet.
Mix in well, do not mix it.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Divide them into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes.
Let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan then remove it to cooling and let it cool completely.
ADDITIONAL INFO
Taste – sweet, chocolaty with moist and bread like texture.

Shelf life – once cools completely, it can be refrigerated for 3-4 days in air tight container. You can warm it up before serving

etky

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 12:00 pm
2 Tblsp of cocoa doesn't seem like much. Were they intensely chocolatey or just mildly so?
I looked at the link you copied and saw that the author also has a recipe for similar eggless cupcakes with more cocoa. They look much darker too. Have you ever made those?
BTW, what is Maida flour?

coconutbutter

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 1:05 pm
I'll be honest I need to taste them myself....I am not much of a chocolate fan which is why I made these so I wouldn't be tempted....
I think it's probably a milder flavor but the chocolate chips help bring the chocolatey taste....

I have no idea what maida flour is, I just copied over the recipe. I just used whatever flour I had on hand which was 80% white and 20% whole wheat...

I'll ask my "testers what they thought"

etky

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 1:14 pm
coconutbutter wrote:
I'll be honest I need to taste them myself....I am not much of a chocolate fan which is why I made these so I wouldn't be tempted....
I think it's probably a milder flavor but the chocolate chips help bring the chocolatey taste....

I have no idea what maida flour is, I just copied over the recipe. I just used whatever flour I had on hand which was 80% white and 20% whole wheat...

I'll ask my "testers what they thought"

Thanks! We like an intensely choc. taste throughout - not just when you bite into a choc. chip. That's why I'm considering the other recipe (w/o choc. chips) that I found on the blog. I have vegan guests this Shabbat and would like an eggless baked dessert.

etky

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 5:20 pm
So we ended up making these http://www.spiceupthecurry.com.....less/
and they were great! We sprinkled a few chocolate chips on each cupcake while they were still hot out of the oven and spread them around after they melted to make an easy glaze.
While DD was making the cupcakes I looked again the recipe and realized it was practically identical to a chocolate cake that my mother a"h used to make in the seventies called Wacky Cake. I found the recipe in Allrecipes, if anyone is interested here it is: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wacky-cake-viii/

coconutbutter

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 6:06 pm
etky wrote:
So we ended up making these http://www.spiceupthecurry.com.....less/
and they were great! We sprinkled a few chocolate chips on each cupcake while they were still hot out of the oven and spread them around after they melted to make an easy glaze.
While DD was making the cupcakes I looked again the recipe and realized it was practically identical to a chocolate cake that my mother a"h used to make in the seventies called Wacky Cake. I found the recipe in Allrecipes, if anyone is interested here it is: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/wacky-cake-viii/

So happy that worked out for you. Sorry I never responded. My crowd is not such a foodie one, so not much help in deciphering just how chocolaty it is.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 6:58 am
coconutbutter wrote:
So happy that worked out for you. Sorry I never responded. My crowd is not such a foodie one, so not much help in deciphering just how chocolaty it is.

No worries- thank you for the timely idea to make an eggless chocolate cake for my vegan friends and thus helping me resurrect my mother's Wacky Cake recipe in the process. When I read vinegar and baking soda in the list of ingredients it triggered the memory ...

nylon

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:48 am
Maida is just the Hindi word for white, all purpose flour (as opposed to "atta" which is whole wheat flour for chapatis).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins