Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what age do you let your babies watch movies/TV?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 3:15 pm
I am a SAHM, with a loveable infant who is active all day when he is not napping. He is 10 months old. How bad is it if I sit him in front of the computer/TV watching baby shows? How long is the maximum time I can do this, if any?

Miri7

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:03 pm
Last time I checked the American academy of pediatrics recommends no screens until 2 years.

I don't let my kids watch until they are 2 except in rare circumstances - like when they have stomach flu, I've been up all night with them and need a break. Then I might sit on the sofa or floor and turn on a long cat video from YouTube. It's just a video of a cat playing. They find this super entertaining, and I don't have to worry about it being inappropriate.

But young kids should not watch tv or screens on a regular basis IMO.

kb

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:38 pm
Why would you want to get a 10 month old into the habit of watching tv??

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:43 pm
I really don't want to get him into the habit, but sometimes I am basically losing it- I tried all other options and he doesn't want to sleep, play with me, eat, or anything else...

water_bear88

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:28 pm
Do you have a safe (barred or unopenable) window overlooking a street? If you do, try putting him in in an infant seat or stroller (strapped in properly) where he can look out. If it's a quiet street, maybe invest in a bird feeder to hang right outside the window. Most babies I've known are at least as happy watching an interesting real-life scene as they are watching tv or videos.

smss

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
I really don't want to get him into the habit, but sometimes I am basically losing it- I tried all other options and he doesn't want to sleep, play with me, eat, or anything else...

go for a walk or drive?
are there any other SAHMs you can get together with?

Helig.daughter

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:44 pm
Its a very bad haspa. The Rama writes that a baby shouldn't nurse from a non-frum or NJ lady so he is Roi to be Moshe Rabeinu.

The Arizal says that music that doesn't come from a holy source will be metameh the deepest neshoma of the baby...

So I say NEVER...

MamaBear

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:49 pm
Do you put music on? Babies don't even focus much on the screen at that age (nor should they). Music is a great distraction. Walks break up the day, lots of short trips to get out and about etc

centurion

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:05 pm
Helig.daughter wrote:
Its a very bad haspa. The Rama writes that a baby shouldn't nurse from a non-frum or NJ lady so he is Roi to be Moshe Rabeinu.

The Arizal says that music that doesn't come from a holy source will be metameh the deepest neshoma of the baby...

So I say NEVER...

what does the rama have against women from new jersey?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:18 pm
I know it's not great, but I let my son watch a little at around that age for short periods of time. I was also a sahm and he was VERY active and demanding so I totally know what you're saying.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:25 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Do you put music on? Babies don't even focus much on the screen at that age (nor should they). Music is a great distraction. Walks break up the day, lots of short trips to get out and about etc

I live in an apartment building, so it's a schlep to get outside, but I do usually go on a walk with him. Today was cold and rainy though.

And to heilig mother- I actually put on Jewish DVD's or totally clean non Jewish ones, so no worries about being "metame"

I will try music... good idea, mama bear!

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:53 pm
centurion wrote:

she means non-jew, although I've never seen it abbreviated like that

MrsDash

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:53 pm
I found these two really helpful services that I use for my kids.

The first one is Dial-A-Story - you call 712-432-4201 and you can play lots of different children's stories. They have classics like pinochio, alice in wonderland, etc. My older one listens for hours!

The other one is Dial-A-White noise - the # is 712-432-4215 - we used this a lot when our ds had bad colic. It plays a few different kids of white noise and it really helped me relax and stay asleep.

Both these numbers are Iowa area codes, so as long as you have free long distance on your phone, there is no charge. Hope this helps!

miracleshappen

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 8:09 pm
I too had an extremely active baby who would never nap, and sometimes I jut had to cook dinner. So sue me, I would put my baby in front of Jewish DVD (uncle moishy, marvelous middos machine) so that I could accomplish pressing stuff around the house. As long as its not often and its for short periods of time, I hardly think you are causing irreparable, catastrophic damage to your child.

Don't feel guilty, do what you need to do to keep you sane.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:16 pm
centurion wrote:

I think the concern is the pollution from all those refineries could get into their milk ...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 5:35 am
Helig.daughter wrote:

So I say NEVER...

Yeah. But, at least since Rashi's times, rabbis have allowed treif eating nurses (not all - read Mothers and Children by Baumgarten), and actually some groups elevate local music into Jewish. Why does Jewish music sound like the local non Jewish?

My kids watch short videos or whatever I watch from pretty early on. I don't have issues with screens as many here have, as long as they get up for school and good grades and not addicted (like refusing to do else). I implemented a no-screen time daily from 5 to 7 but my friends said it was harsh (I'm not from the same culture as most here) and unfortunately it fell on the wayside.

morningsickness

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:14 am
I have 2 little ones- and I have only once let the oldest one- my 2.5 yr. old watch someting- a disc her playgroup put together that was full of pitures of them.

I'm not a SAHM though.

But I have heard enough about the way children learn and take in new info to make me very much against any screen time.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:58 am
When DD was a baby, I used to let her watch parve or Jewish shows. The problem was that when Shabbos came around, she would stand in front of the screen and wail miserably for HOURS! It was heartbreaking, it was literally like watching a drug addict go through withdrawals. There was no way to console her, and I knew that she must have thought she was being punished for something. We got rid of the TV the next day.

I didn't start letting her watch videos again until she was 4, and could understand the importance of Shabbos. When she was older she could understand that on Shabbos we went out and played at the park, went to shul, and visited friends, so she didn't miss her shows. I also only let her watch on show a day during the week, usually while I was cooking dinner.

She is 11 now, and is having problems getting through Shabbos without wanting to be on the computer or her cell phone (see my thread about "unplugging my daughter"). Many of her Jewish friends sneak screen time on Shabbos while their parents are napping. Sad

It's a very difficult balancing act. I totally understand why some families don't allow electronics in the house ever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics