Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is Dina Friedman for me?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 2:20 pm
I would like to take a parenting course and have been considering Dina Friedman's, there's a lot of positive feedback here for hers. Still waiting to come up with the money anyway but I just saw this blog post that is making me wonder if this is the right course for me in the first place: http://jewishmom.com/2011/02/0.....leep/

Can anyone who has taken her course confirm if that's what she teaches? Controlled crying for 0 to 6 month olds, can that possibly be true?! Even Ferber didn't recommend it for that young!

Anyway, I don't believe in CIO at any age, but I found it incredibly disturbing that she recommends it for tiny newborns. Is this the wrong course for me?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 4:27 pm
She gives a course on controlled CIO *IF YOU CHOOSE TO/WANT TO SLEEP TRAIN YOUR BABY*. She doesnt advocate it per se, she just gives you the step by step insructions if you wanna do it. however, I think she doesnt permit it under six months.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 5:39 pm
She is actually very pro having a close relationship with your baby, breastfeeding, etc. If this is true, you don't have to follow this, it is such a minor aspect of parenting, one I don't even consider "parenting" as much as it is parent-coping. It's not anything I consider chinuch. My 19 month old just started sleeping through the night this week through no efforts of my own. But I would not ignore a good parenting course that gives invaluable information about setting up a tone of a house and creating bonds with children and guiding them through all their needs and struggles because she may have information that doesn't suit you. She also gives a side talk on toilet training for those who want it. You surely don't have to follow it to be able to follow her general mehalech. These are supplementary add-ons for mothers who are seeking help desperately in those areas.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:39 pm
HY: You took her course?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 8:02 pm
Yes. Years ago, so I am not sure what has changed (I know she added a few classes).

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 8:41 pm
She also states very clearly that if theres a technique thst doesn't sit well with you then move on without it! I loved her course.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics