Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Q about Moving from brooklyn to lkwd

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 10:20 pm
when is best to move; during the summer or right before the new school yr?

also, I'm looking for a preschool for my 4 yo. she's in nursery (in school). I would like to start her in a school in primary. recommendations for a place for 1 yr with a solid curriculum & is a mix of yiddish & english.

any other tips for moving appreciated! getting nervous!

Emotional

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 11:59 pm
Best to get your daughter into a school first and then move in time for the following school year.
I'm sure you've heard/ read about the infamous school situation in Lakewood...

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:57 am
Of course I'm not moving till school is settled!

Emotional

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:09 am
amother wrote:
Of course I'm not moving till school is settled!

Okay good. It wasn't clear from your post.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:05 am
I would think it's easier for the kids if you move earlier in the summer. It might be very overwhelming to have so many huge moves, new house, new neighborhood and new school all at once.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:15 am
Emotional wrote:
Best to get your daughter into a school first and then move in time for the following school year.
I'm sure you've heard/ read about the infamous school situation in Lakewood...

I know people who were told (by the schools) not to move. So some say it's better to move first.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 7:10 am
amother wrote:
when is best to move; during the summer or right before the new school yr?

also, I'm looking for a preschool for my 4 yo. she's in nursery (in school). I would like to start her in a school in primary. recommendations for a place for 1 yr with a solid curriculum & is a mix of yiddish & english.

any other tips for moving appreciated! getting nervous!
Best is to do research with people you know in Lakewood. Like, do you have friends here who send to a particular school, and can you call that school and see if there's room. There are a few new schools opening up, so it might be a good time to get in on the ground floor of a new school. If you have no friends or family in lakewood, it might be harder.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:39 am
I don't wanna send her to a reg school yet. I wanna keep her In a preschool that has till primary for 1 yr & in primary start her in reg school. Any recommendations? Should be a mix of English & Yiddish speaking. Thanks

summer0808

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:30 pm
did you ever do any research on the Lakewood school system? No preschool only for primary.

90% of the schools start with primary. NOne end with primary.

If you'd like her in a small setting, find a school that is opening this year with just primary or kindergarten & primary.

I'm not in the parsha this year (boys primary & girls HS yipee!!) so I dont know the list of the new schools.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:46 pm
summer0808 wrote:
did you ever do any research on the Lakewood school system? No preschool only for primary.

90% of the schools start with primary. NOne end with primary.

If you'd like her in a small setting, find a school that is opening this year with just primary or kindergarten & primary.

I'm not in the parsha this year (boys primary & girls HS yipee!!) so I dont know the list of the new schools.

I understood the OP to mean that her daughter is going to be in kindergarten this year. She is looking for a home-based kindergarten for this year and plans to start her in primary in a school the year after.

I have never sent my kids to yiddish-speaking playgroups, so I don't have personal experience with them.

I have spoken to someone about a day camp, and she told me she has a yiddish-speaking playgroup during the year. You can try her! Mrs. Glatzer 370-9476

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:50 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I understood the OP to mean that her daughter is going to be in kindergarten this year. She is looking for a home-based kindergarten for this year and plans to start her in primary in a school the year after.

I have never sent my kids to yiddish-speaking playgroups, so I don't have personal experience with them.

I have spoken to someone about a day camp, and she told me she has a yiddish-speaking playgroup during the year. You can try her! Mrs. Glatzer 370-9476

Yes I meant I want something just for coming yr (she will be in kindergarten) but not a home based thing if possible. Is there such a thing? Primary she will be in reg school iyh

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:19 pm
While most schools in lkwd start with Primary (pre-1a), the chassidish/heimish girl schools start in Kindergarten. It is difficult to get into these schools at all and even harder if you are trying to get in for Primary. I would suggest you try to get into a Kindergarten in an elementary school.
It doesn't seem to me that you are looking for a very chassidish school so I won't discuss those. The heimish schools are Bais Rochel, Tiferes Chaya, and Kesser Bais Yaakov. Bais Rochel is the oldest school here (at least 25 yrs). The crown was not very chassidish since lakewood did not have many chassidim living here until recently. They are definitaly trying to get a more chassidish crowd and they have switched from a litvish yiddish and havara to a chassidish one. Tiferes Chaya is about 10 years old. The crowd is mixed but mostly heimish. They teach a chassidish yiddish and a litvish havara for lashon hakodesh. I send to Kesser Bais Yaakov and I am very happy. It is only 3 years old and the oldest grade currently is 2nd. It is a small warm school with an amazing staff. Since they teach kriah with a litvish havara, thay also speak a litvish yiddish in the first few grades and then it is the teachers preferance. My daughter has not had a problem with that. They also teach Ivris because they don't want to limit highschool choices for the girls. (most elementary schools in lakewood do not feed into a highschool). The crowd is a mix ranging from frum chassidish to litvish. There aren't any covered shaitels and the women drive. As a whole, it is a frum tzniusdik crowd, maybe a bit younger and simpler than the other two schools.
If you are looking for a litvish school that teaches in yiddish, I'm not up to date with those schools but I would suggest looking into Bais Rivkah Rochel and Bnos Melech/Melochim?. I think they may also have Kindergartens. Good Luck!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
While most schools in lkwd start with Primary (pre-1a), the chassidish/heimish girl schools start in Kindergarten. It is difficult to get into these schools at all and even harder if you are trying to get in for Primary. I would suggest you try to get into a Kindergarten in an elementary school.
It doesn't seem to me that you are looking for a very chassidish school so I won't discuss those. The heimish schools are Bais Rochel, Tiferes Chaya, and Kesser Bais Yaakov. Bais Rochel is the oldest school here (at least 25 yrs). The crown was not very chassidish since lakewood did not have many chassidim living here until recently. They are definitaly trying to get a more chassidish crowd and they have switched from a litvish yiddish and havara to a chassidish one. Tiferes Chaya is about 10 years old. The crowd is mixed but mostly heimish. They teach a chassidish yiddish and a litvish havara for lashon hakodesh. I send to Kesser Bais Yaakov and I am very happy. It is only 3 years old and the oldest grade currently is 2nd. It is a small warm school with an amazing staff. Since they teach kriah with a litvish havara, thay also speak a litvish yiddish in the first few grades and then it is the teachers preferance. My daughter has not had a problem with that. They also teach Ivris because they don't want to limit highschool choices for the girls. (most elementary schools in lakewood do not feed into a highschool). The crowd is a mix ranging from frum chassidish to litvish. There aren't any covered shaitels and the women drive. As a whole, it is a frum tzniusdik crowd, maybe a bit younger and simpler than the other two schools.
If you are looking for a litvish school that teaches in yiddish, I'm not up to date with those schools but I would suggest looking into Bais Rivkah Rochel and Bnos Melech/Melochim?. I think they may also have Kindergartens. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had in mind to apply to kesser Bais Yakov. Prob is they will most likely not accept my daughter be cuz off my info is from where I currently live. Thought would be easier to apply next yr once I have lkwd info & application won't just go to the garbage right away. Am I totally off?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 10:07 am
it is hard to get in if you are not living in lakewood (or at all). But it is harder to get into Primary when the class is already filled. Even if you don't get in, if you don't get in now and there is an opening the next year, you will be towards the top of the list. I can't see how it can hurt by applying now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating