Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Now that Shoprite is gone (Lkwd)

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:49 am
I generally do most of my grocery shopping in NPGS, and go to Shoprite every few weeks.
I get whatever their weekly special is + pasta, peanut butter, applesauce, shampoo, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, cereal, oatmeal etc. I didn't use the Kosher Experience very much.

Now that Shoprite moved, what is the best bet to stock up on these types of things. I know I can go to the new Shoprite 10 minutes away, but that passes Aldi, Stop & Shop, BJs, Target, Walmart etc. Which has the best prices overall?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:22 pm
probably walmart.

I often order from walmart and target online. Target has free shipping if you sign up for a target card. I don't shlep detergent home anymore. It gets delivered for free and the prices are great (target).

Helig.daughter

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:28 pm
No more Shoprite in Lakewood, WOW... Thats the highlight of my trip when we have a simcha

be good

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 12:32 pm
helix, are you serious?

questioner

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
probably walmart.

I often order from walmart and target online. Target has free shipping if you sign up for a target card. I don't shlep detergent home anymore. It gets delivered for free and the prices are great (target).

I just compared prices right now, and the detergent I use (Wisk) is cheaper in walmart (at least online)
What do you find target has better deals on besides their diapers?

mommyla

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:01 pm
I do most of that shopping at Target, but I always did a big baking stock-up at ShopRite - flour, sugar, chocolate chips, etc. I buy ShopRite brand so it's pretty cheap, and I usually buy pasta whenever it goes on sale there. I've found Target to be consistently cheaper than ShopRite for cereal and cleaning supplies, and I buy things that we use a lot of (oil, Craisins, some types of cereal) at Costco.

I think I'll still end up going to ShopRite for my usual stuff. It's not that much further, and there's the Brick ShopRite too.

sourstix

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:10 pm
so what is coming instead? btw is target cheaper in plastic cups, plates, spoons, diapers then walmart and superstop? whos the cheapest in this stuff in lakewood?

curlytop

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:38 pm
Just remember that you can't buy chometz at target for 4 weeks after pesach

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:45 pm
sourstix wrote:
so what is coming instead? btw is target cheaper in plastic cups, plates, spoons, diapers then walmart and superstop? whos the cheapest in this stuff in lakewood?

plastic cups, plates, you have to get in a jewish store for good prices. NPGS is pretty good. Amazing Savings has great plastic plates. There are also the home based companies who deliver plastic stuff to your house.

sourstix

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 2:49 pm
are they cheaper then target and walmart? I want to go tomorrow but not if the homebased are cheaper. is npgs just as cheap?

mille

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:01 pm
I don't know about the Aldi near Lakewood as I've never been anywhere near Lakewood, but I know that Aldi in general is VERY highly regarded for having excellent pricing by Frugal blogs and the like online! You can't use it as a replacement for a regular supermarket, but they frequently have deals like 69 cents for a dozen eggs, 50 cents for 5lb of potatoes (I'd mention the cheap milk too, but obviously that only goes if you eat chalav stam!), or other really really cheap things. I think t hey stock mostly off brand for pantry items so I'm not sure the kosher availability. It might be worth a stop just to check it out and see if you like it.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:25 pm
Aldis in Howell has a lot of kosher items. They also have a lot of gluten free items for cheap, and they taste good.

We're going to miss Shoprite a lot. We bought most of our chickens and meats there, usually a lot cheaper than the frum stores. Everything else you can go to Walmart, Target or the new Shoprite, but we will miss having a Kosher Experience close by.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:59 pm
glutenless wrote:
We're going to miss Shoprite a lot. We bought most of our chickens and meats there, usually a lot cheaper than the frum stores. Everything else you can go to Walmart, Target or the new Shoprite, but we will miss having a Kosher Experience close by.

Same here.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:16 pm
personally, I stopped going to shoprite on a regular basis when I couldn't fit my kids and groceries in the wagon. I always found their carts so small ... where to fit a toddler and a car seat?

The carts by NPGS are a dream if shopping with kids!

sourstix, plastic cups, plates, bowls, foil pans are not things to get in target and walmart. Go to the jewish stores for those things. I have not compared prices so I don't know where the cheapest place is. I usually just get what I need from NPGS ( I love the Jackson one) or the local grocery. Amazing Savings has great quality plastic plates and cups .

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:24 pm
I'm feeling like the only one who won't miss it. Maybe I should of taken advantage of their sales, but I found it intimidating and overwhelming to go into a huge store, as opposed to a frum store where everything is kosher. Household stuff can be gotten from other places such as Walmart or Costco.

And I think someone mentioned paper goods, and I agree, I can never find standard cheap plastic cups in the non Jewish stores.

small bean

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:34 pm
I just want to add that stop'n shop has the same sales as shoprite, usually on the same week. It's not as big, but it has everything and their prices are very good...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics