Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Ideas for spaghetti squash?

MMCH

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:28 pm
any ideas how to serve it?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:34 pm
with meatballs and sauce

with a sauteed veggie sauce

or with just olive oil and coarse salt (the way I like it)

medola

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:34 pm
After cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave, I made a sauce for it by sauteing onions, garlic, zuchinni, tomatoes, red peppers in a skillet with some oil. Then I added pasta sauce/marinara/tomato sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes (plus spices - salt, pepper, curry?, etc). Think I might have thrown in some mushrooms as well.

An alternative is making it sweet - with margarine/butter and brown sugar. That's pretty good too!

But you wont run into a shortage of ideas if you go a little googling.

YUM - enjoy!

medola

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:35 pm
Oh, and maybe add some cinnamon, and a pinch of ginger to the sweet one.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:35 pm
You can really serve it any way you would serve spagehetti/angel hair pasta. Sweet, or onion kugels, with sauces, as salad.

canadamom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:50 pm
I like to make a spaghetti squash kugel. I rinse the squash and bake it whole for 1 hour. let it cool, then slice it in half and scoop out the seeds. with a fork remove the strands of spaghetti squash and put into bowl.

while it's cooking sautee 1-2 onions in a generous amount of oil. (I find the squash to be pretty bland so the fried onions give it tons of flavor.)
add to squash:
fried onions
2-3 eggs
salt, pepper, garlic powder
bake uncovered for an hour.

momaholic

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 4:53 pm
I just made it for supper. I baked in the oven for 1 hour. then, I sauteed diced tomatoes, onions and 2 garlic cubes. I added the spaghetti squash and some spices (salt, pepper and onion powder) ans let it cook together a few minutes. it is yum!11

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 6:51 pm
I baked it for supper last night and served it with ketchup. tonight, I made latkes from the plain leftover squash. I mixed squash with two eggs, salt, pepper fresh parsley and a tiny bit of nutmeg. surprisingly, they came out sweet but still delicious!

JM46

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 9:01 pm
If you're looking for something milchigs, you could just microwave it, scoop it into a bowl, and reheat with some cheese and sauce. It's really yummy that way.

redstrawberry

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:36 am
How long does it need to be baked? Or microwaved?

Yael3

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 8:49 am
redstrawberry wrote:

I cut it in half (the long way), remove seeds with a spoon, and bake faced down for 45 minutes at 375.
Then flip them right-side up for the last 15 minutes at 400.
When they cool so you can handle them, scrape the spaghetti strands out with a fork. From there your options are endless Smile
I like to sautéed onions and garlic in olive oil and then mix it all together adding just pepper and a little salt.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 11:00 am
I think I'm addicted to spaghetti squash I have it once a week. Usually simply finished with some roasted garlic and evoo and some hot pepper flakes. I also like to make it with a pad thai dressing.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 11:05 am
I usually microwave it for a few minutes so it is easier to cut. Then I slice in half and scoop out the pits. Then I sprinkle a little oil and salt over it and bake till soft. Scoop out with a fork when cool. Then I serve with meatballs and sauce. I find that doing cheese and sauce doesn't come out as good for some reason.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 11:34 am
On Pesach I used it:
- under an appetizer instead of pasta
- as a salt and pepper noodle kugel

I also sometimes eat with marinara sauce and cheese.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:09 pm
sky wrote:

I also sometimes eat with marinara sauce and cheese.

I find that it doesn't absorb the sauce and cheese the way pasta does and also gets watery.

Do you do anything special to counteract that?

4eyes

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:27 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I find that it doesn't absorb the sauce and cheese the way pasta does and also gets watery.

Do you do anything special to counteract that?

I find that it's only watery when microwaved. When roasted it has a much better texture and holds sauce way better.

centurion

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:34 pm
sesame "noodles"

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:40 pm
redstrawberry wrote:

Cut in half. Scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on cookie sheet. Roast uncovered at 350 for 1 hour.
Use tines of a fork to scrape out strands.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 4:12 pm
If you like Asian food, this is delicious and easy to prepare. I would do the prep work ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven.

Orange-spiced Salmon with Spaghetti Squash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
Cooking spray
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Parsley sprigs (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar mixture and squash; toss gently. Arrange squash in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange salmon on top of squash; brush with mustard. Sprinkle fish with remaining sugar mixture. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.

Nutritional Information:

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 336(40% from fat); FAT 14.8g (sat 2.5g,mono 6.8g,poly 3.2g); PROTEIN 35.7g; CHOLESTEROL 111mg; CALCIUM 46mg; SODIUM 402mg; FIBER 1.7g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 13g

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 4:13 pm
This is a more typical use for spaghetti squash and the flavors work well together.

Spaghetti Squash-and-vegetable Gratin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups diced zucchini
3 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 ounces) cup (3 shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves, garlic minced
1 can (14.5-ounce) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
Cooking spray
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, and tomatoes.

Combine 1/4 cup cheese and squash. Arrange squash mixture in a large gratin dish or shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon tomato mixture over squash. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over tomato mixture. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.

Notes:

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 116 (29% from fat); FAT 3.7g (sat 1.7g, mono 1.3g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 6.6g; CARB 15.9g; FIBER 2g; CHOL 8mg; IRON 1.7mg; SODIUM 311mg; CALC 148mg;
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes