Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Please help me save my roast!

4thebooks

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:42 am
Basically my husband bought home some sort of meat roast it didn't have a label of what cut it is. I basted it with a rub of oil black pepper salt paprika and garlic powder I put it on an onion bed and added coke, marinated overnight in the morning I added some ketchup and baked it covered on 325 for 3 hours then 1 hour uncovered.
It's still a piece of rubber and I didn't add enough salt. Sad is there something to do with it or should I trash it?

cooksallday

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:46 am
So season it with more salt or chicken or beef soup mix and put back in oven covered on low like 300 for a few more hours

naomi6

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:50 am
sauté 2 onions and 6 garlics till nice and gold not brown salt pepper garlic powder paprika cover bake a few hrs 275 till soft or on a low flame. If it needs liquid no water chicken soup or wine

etky

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:22 am
I would slice it and then cook it on a simmer on top of the stove until it gets soft. I've had the same experience as you and this is what made the meat edible (and it was actually tasty too Smile )

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:25 am
Yes.

A pressure cooker with a good bit of liquid in it would have been better, 15 minutes to the pound.

Your oven was too cool; it needed more heat, less time, and to be never uncovered.

It WILL be delicious. You have a lot of talent with seasonings.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:29 am
BTDT, so many times!

I take the roast and cut it into cubes, and freeze them in portions. Next time I need to make cholent, beef stew, curries, or any other flavorful slow cooked dish, I throw in the meat and simmer it until tender and it absorbs the flavor of the sauce. You'd never know that it was a dried out piece of shoe leather! LOL

cbg

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:38 am
etky wrote:
I would slice it and then cook it on a simmer on top of the stove until it gets soft. I've had the same experience as you and this is what made the meat edible (and it was actually tasty too Smile )

This.
I would slice it as thin as possible.
When do you need it by?
If you have the time, remove the roastand keep all cooking liquid.
Put roast in the fridge and slice it tomorrow.
Slice it as thin as possible.
For this I have a cheap meat/deli slicer
Adjust the flavor of the cooking liquid if you need to, salt, pepper, etc.
Reheat in liquid.
Since the meat is sliced thin, it will take the flavor of the liquid and it won't be tough.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:40 am
Yes, refrigerate, slice when cold and reheat in its gravy.

4thebooks

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:05 pm
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I ended up sautéing lots of onion and garlic put the roast in with chicken broth and spices cooked it for 7 hours and it came out heaven!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics