Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need to travel after baby born id

muss

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:30 pm
If I need to travel soon after I have my baby domestic how does it work with getting id for the baby. Is a birth certificate enough or do I need a passport?

Smile1234

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:35 pm
For flying domestic children do not need id. Only if you are flying internationally do they need a passport. Unless you mean domestic not in the US, then I don't know.

kb

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 3:00 pm
I'm missing something. Assuming you're flying within the domestic usa, no one needs a passport. And children don't need any id at all.

sherm613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 4:58 pm
Southwest airlines asks for some sort of ID if you're not buying a ticket for the baby to confirm they are under 2. Some other airlines also say they can ask for proof so I'd bring the birth certificate or at least a copy of it.

muss

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 4:59 pm
Thanks for that info. Yes I am traveling domestic usa. I thought whoever travels needs some sort of id

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 5:05 pm
Call the airline as I believe you need to register the baby, who gets a ticket as well, you pay some tax or fee (a few dollars).
Birth certificate should be OK if both parents are flying with baby. If only one parent, you may need to bring a signed/notarized letter. So better to call and find out exactly.

sherm613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:43 pm
muss- I think you're thinking of ID for TSA. Children under 18 don't need any ID for TSA.

SRB

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:05 am
I have traveled with my baby several times but only on SouthWest Airlines so this information only applies to this airline... A baby under 2 years old can be a "lap child" for free. You book your ticket and then call Southest Customer service and give the baby's name to add as a lap child. You need to bring proof of age to show at the airport. You probably won't have a birth certificate yet but you should get a temporary one in the hospital after you give birth - this is what I used the first time I traveled with my dc since the birth certificate hadn't arrived in the mail yet... Actually I just brought a copy to the airport with me. You can also use a vaccine report as long as it has the DOB. I know keep a copy of dc's birth certificate in the diaper bag because we travel often. Passports are not needed when traveling domestically. Again, this is how it works on SouthWest so if you are traveling on a different airline make sure you call them and find out what they require. Dont forget you can bring your stroller all the way to the gate in the airport and check it there. My last tip for at the airport is ask for help if you need it! Going through security can be challenging with baby but people are often happy to help. Safe travels to you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics