Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is this standard playgroup procedure

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:01 am
Is it normal for a playgroup morah to call parents and request that they come change their child who had a #2 accident this is for 2-3 year olds?

ven

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:08 am
No ! But I am in old school Europe of course, this screams passive aggressive lazy Morah to me

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:08 am
My 3 year old is not potty trained. For his morah to call me for every dirty is lazy and incompetent. This is what happens in this age group. The ones who were trained throughout the year sometimes went home in other clothes because of an accident. If you won't clean dirty, don't teach preschool.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 6:54 am
Are most parents sending tot he playgroup stay at home parents? Otherwise is this Morah expecting people to come home from work/take the day off to change the child every time there is an accident, or just let them sit in it until the parents come home? 2-3 is an age group where you can expect at least a few accidents a year from the group. This sounds really weird UNLESS 1) your child refuses to let anyone touch her/him 2) This Morah is really nervous about touching any child's private parts because of some incident/accusation in the past. 3) They suspect the kid has more than an accident and think it is a diarrheal disease or something and child needs to go home.

Was this policy made clear before the school year, or was this just such a spectacularly sized accident that nothing short of a bath could handle it?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:04 am
I'm not going 40 mins each way for a diaper. They would hear from me, and possibly not see me again.
(40 mins, I counted if dh is home and can drive me - by bus more like 1h30 each way). Euro here also.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:18 am
OP here- Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it was unwarranted. I am upset, but my daughter is happy otherwise at playgroup so I don't want to move her out at this point. and it's not a dirty diaper, it's an accident in underwear in a child who has been trained for over a year. Teacher will change kids when they make a #1, but #2 she called me home. It happened earlier in the year as well, and I was called at work 3 times. I couldn't get there till the school day was over so she sat in it. Now, she called, I was close enough so I was able to get there in 20 minutes. This is an outrageous policy

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:34 am
I thought this was something that is discussed before the child is signed up for playgroup. I know of playgroups that charge extra if your child is in diapers and need to be changed daily. They hire someone specifically to change diapers and do other clean up jobs. As far as accidents that are not on a daily or weekly basis, these are to be expected in this age group.
At 3 years old, Nursery, most schools have a policy that if your child has 3 accidents with in a 3 month period (some 6), they make you keep your child home for a week to toilet train him. If the accident is a bowel movement, they will call you to change him. Again, these are rules that are clearly stated before the child is registered.

iluvy

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
OP here- Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it was unwarranted. I am upset, but my daughter is happy otherwise at playgroup so I don't want to move her out at this point. and it's not a dirty diaper, it's an accident in underwear in a child who has been trained for over a year. Teacher will change kids when they make a #1, but #2 she called me home. It happened earlier in the year as well, and I was called at work 3 times. I couldn't get there till the school day was over so she sat in it. Now, she called, I was close enough so I was able to get there in 20 minutes. This is an outrageous policy

Calling you is crazy enough, but the bolded is completely outrageous.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:44 am
amother wrote:

it is NOT a crazy policy, they have the same policy in most schools. HOWEVER to make your child stay dirty all day IS ridiculous. the teacher should have taken care of it, even if it made her uncomfortable. changing diapers is different than changing dirty accidents.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:52 am
eema of 3 wrote:
it is NOT a crazy policy, they have the same policy in most schools. HOWEVER to make your child stay dirty all day IS ridiculous. the teacher should have taken care of it, even if it made her uncomfortable. changing diapers is different than changing dirty accidents.

yes, but schools the children are older. When one works this playgroup age this is to be expected that children will have accidents. What if a parent doesn't work local? How can it be okay for a kid to sit in that from 9-2? if the teacher doesn't want to do it herself, she needs to have someone who can do that, or don't do playgroup.

lfab

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:19 am
No, this is absolutley not typical procedure. Most playgroups this age may ask you not to send in underwear unless the child is fully trained. However, even a fully trained child this age will have occasionaly accidents. If it happens only once or twice over the course of the year then it's the teachers job to clean and change the child. I could see that if a child is constantly having accidents then the teacher insisting that the parent send diapers or pull ups. But once the child is dirty it's the teachers responsibilty to clean it (regardless of how often it happens). It's not fair to make such a young child sit dirty all day because of the teacher's laziness/dislike for cleaning accidents. Like others said it's par for the course at this age and if the teacher doesn't like it then she should teach older children.

As an aside: I would also expect a teacher for this age group to be wiping my child after a bowel movement regardless, even if they went on the toilet. A child this age doesn't have the skills to clean themselves properly.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:00 pm
Nothing about this is OK. Even for the kid to sit in it for 20 minutes while waiting for the parent to arrive is a long time. They should be cleaned promptly.

My 2.5-year-old was fully trained when she started playgroup at 2. She has had a handful of wet accidents. Most of the other kids are in diapers and require a lot more regular cleaning up than she does. I don't mind being charged equally with the diaper kids if it means the staff and supplies are on hand to deal with my kid's infrequent accidents when they happen. Plus they also need to take them to the bathroom regularly, which can be more work than changing diapers since they absorb wets for a while, whereas your trained kid needs to be taken at every sign of needing to go. And they need just as much help wiping from toilet as from diaper, though the toilet is less yucky.

Miri7

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:04 pm
This is NOT normal, IME. What really gets me is that they didn't clean the poor girl up.

I would highly question someone who intentionally let a child sit in dirty clothes for so long. That is just cruel, very unsanitary for everyone, and demonstrates a lack of judgment and compassion. I would start looking for other childcare arrangements.

smss

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:44 pm
oh gosh, this is reminding me of when I worked in a playgroup when I was pregnant with my first. I was in charge of changing those dirty accidents and I was SO nauseous. it was torture.

of course now, as a parent, I'd agree of COURSE the teacher should change it Smile

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:44 pm
Diapers and accidents are two totally different things. Diapers is expected. As for accidents it depends on age. two year olds that have accidents is normal but anything older? # 1 accident Morah changes but number 2 we call the parents. Yes that is our policy.
I am a Morah of 4-5 year olds and change #1 but never #2. They should be trained already and why would I want to change a # 2 accident? Even the most loving devoted Morah would not want to do this and should not be expected to.
HOWEVER if a student of mine had the # 2 accident and mother cannot come within an hour there is no way I would let her stay dirty for more than that.
Having a policy in place to protect the Morahs is good, but torturing a child is not.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
Diapers and accidents are two totally different things. Diapers is expected. As for accidents it depends on age. two year olds that have accidents is normal but anything older? # 1 accident Morah changes but number 2 we call the parents. Yes that is our policy.
I am a Morah of 4-5 year olds and change #1 but never #2. They should be trained already and why would I want to change a # 2 accident? Even the most loving devoted Morah would not want to do this and should not be expected to.
HOWEVER if a student of mine had the # 2 accident and mother cannot come within an hour there is no way I would let her stay dirty for more than that.
Having a policy in place to protect the Morahs is good, but torturing a child is not.

The question is not why should you WANT to change it. Nobody, including parents, wants to clean up dirty accidents. But you should still DO it and the reason is kavod habriyos. Yes they should be trained already, but the reason it's called an ACCIDENT is because it's NOT expected. If a kid has a specific problem in this area then of course that needs to be addressed on an individual basis but even a normal, trained kid could have an accident. If you're in a school maybe the school nurse can take care of it for hygienic reasons, but it needs to be taken care of. And not a half hour later when the parents get there from work. But anyway it would be very unusual for this to happen at 4-5, OP is talking about a 2-3 year old group at which stage they are still getting used to things even if they are basically fully trained and it is much more understandable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers