Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Anyone with a pet turtle?

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:20 pm
My almost 5 year old decided she wants a turtle for her birthday. I'm obviously doing my own research but thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone with a turtle? Any tips/pros/cons? What's the upkeep like?

asp40

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:42 pm
No. Turtles can carry salmonella I believe. I also believe they have a fairly long life span, so you have to be prepared for that.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:51 pm
I had a pet turtle when I was a kid. We were super careful to wash our hands, and nobody ever got sick. Turtles don't do very much except eat and sleep, so your child will probably get bored with it pretty quick, and then it will be all your job to take care of it.

Geckos are way more fun.

zigi

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:51 pm
you have to change the water every week. otherwise they do have a long life and they are more fun to watch than fish

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 1:53 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I had a pet turtle when I was a kid. We were super careful to wash our hands, and nobody ever got sick. Turtles don't do very much except eat and sleep, so your child will probably get bored with it pretty quick, and then it will be all your job to take care of it.

Geckos are way more fun.

She actually first wanted a snake but I was nervous that if it gets out we'll never see it again and if a turtle somehow tries to escape at least it's slow-moving

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:33 pm
The cute little ones I think are illegal to own in NY, I think also due to the salmonella. Check before you buy, of course depends on where you live

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:40 pm
A snake is not an appropriate pet for a child under 8. My friend has water turtles. Her kids like them and they are nice size. My brother also has turtles. They are HUGE (larger than my shoe). You need to wash your hands after touching them because of bacteria, and you have to be careful about how much you feed them.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:41 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
My almost 5 year old decided she wants a turtle for her birthday. I'm obviously doing my own research but thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone with a turtle? Any tips/pros/cons? What's the upkeep like?

Besides the salmonella issue which had been covered, many pet store turtles have been illegally obtained from the wild. The population of many pond turtle species across the US and in other parts of the world has been dangerously reduced by the illegal pet trade. Check state and federal laws to see what applies to your area. Trade of pond turtles is forbidden in many states.

Know what species of turtle the pet store is offering and don't just accept the names they may call it. If you cannot identify it as the named species don't buy it. Although turtles and tortoise can live a long life, many of those in captivity don't.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 4:01 pm
we recently got a budgie for my son who wanted a pet. He wanted a rat but his father didn't. He did not want a hamster or gerbil but those are great pets, we have had them in the past.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:12 am
Rat is more sociable than hamster. But it needs a companion.

Turtle vs salmonella, I had no idea. They're sold here, or were last time I was in a pet shop.

asp40

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:02 am
A guinea pig is a wonderful pet. They are cute and furry and rarely bite. We have had one for years and they are a perfect pet.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:15 am
As Ruchel posted, a rat is a much better pet than a hamster or gerbil. My friend who researches everything got two rats for her girls. They would cuddle with them and play with them and really were very cute. If they weren't called rats I don't think anyone would be prejudiced against them.

My mother was a teacher and she brought home the classroom pets every summer. The turtle was pretty boring and even apart from the salmonella issue, I never wanted to play with it.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:28 am
My husband got a couple of small tortoises and they're living in our garden. They hide, but come out when it's sunny. They're fun to look for, and it's exciting watching them walk and eat. Kids like to come pick them up and move them other places, but we don't like to bother them too much. Seems like a similar environment to the wild is the best for them. We leave out vegetable peels, but they seem happiest finding grass and green leaves.

silbergirl

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 6:09 am
When I was a girl I used to have pet rats.

Pluses:
- Very sociable, intelligent and fun to watch
- very clean and cute
- Different personalities, boys are generally cuddlier than girls
- Adjust to their owners schedules.

Minuses:
- need a huge cage (80cmx80x50 minimum, with fullsize floors, for 3 rats)
- needs company, at least 3 same gender rats (no mixed ones, they multiply like crazy!!!)
- only has a lifespan of 2-2,5 years, needs surgeries and medical care when old which can be very expensive.
- Bedding and urine can smell (but thats the case with any cage pet).
- needs playtime in a secluded area in the house every day (youre not allowed to take them outside, theyre very fragile).

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 2:44 pm
Thanks for suggestions for various mammals but they're out because I have very strong allergies to furry animals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets